Emerge / Equo - which better ?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Emerge / Equo - which better ?

Postby wendigu » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10

Hi, my problem is to understand, which program is 'better' (for me - read below) to install packages. I read some info about installing software, but I couldnt find answer to my question. My primary aim installing software is to compile programs using USE flags. And now the question is: when im using equo to install software is it use USE flags? I noticed that equo is much more faster than emerge - is equo compiling code like emerge ?
wendigu
Baby Hen

Re: Emerge / Equo - which better ?

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:47

Equo is installing pre-compiled packages so the USE flags are already set during the original compilation. If you wish to compile programmes to your own specifications then you need to use emerge. It is not a good idea to mix the two but, generally, to stick to one or the other.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 17:09

There is no compilation with Equo/Entropy.

Its an apple/oranges comparison really.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby DanySK » Wed Jul 28, 2010 23:58

Use equo for all the packages which are pre-compiled with the flags you like. Use emerge to add the packages you want to personalize.
Enjoy.
DanySK
Technological Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area