Sabayon 5.2 has no GUI after install and other issues.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.2 has no GUI after install and other issues.

Postby harsan » Wed May 19, 2010 22:05

I've successfully installed Sabayon linux 5.2, or so I thought. Upon boot in normal mode, I can't get a KDE desktop. I get a frozen cursor in the upper left of my screen, and upon using the ctrl+alt+backspace, I get dropped into a terminal. It's quite vexing, considering how much trouble just installing the distro to my 2 drive IDE/SATA setup was, and especially vexing considering the LiveDVD worked flawlessly, once it got past its quite long (15 or so minutes) boot time. I'm wondering if it's my hardware, so specs to follow:

AMD Phenom 9750 quad-core processor
Gigabyte GA-MA785GPM-US2H motherboard
MSI N260GTX T2D896 graphics card
6 GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM (2GB x 3)
Hitachi 75GB SATA HDD
Seagate barracuda 250 GB IDE HDD
Samsung IDE DVD burner

Normal boot is protracted, to the tune of 10 minutes to get past "Preparing the system for boot... Press Alt+F1 for verbose mode", with no USB (Fringe benefits of a backlit keyboard.) and the rescue boot likes to freeze up at random intervals, cutting off USB (See previous aside.)
I don't know if this is normal, but I'm trying not to give up. I like my sound to work and Sabayon wins hands-down there, with no clips, no blips, no nothing that impairs sound on my computer. If there's any help that can be offered to troubleshoot this, I'd be greatly appreciative.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These days we all paint on the mind's digital canvas
harsan
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.2 has no GUI after install and other issues.

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 20, 2010 0:31

It's certainly not normal; those boot times -- both for the LiveDVD and for the installation to the HDD -- are way, way too long. Something is definitely wrong in both cases.

I suspect it's not the cause of your predicament, but did you check the MD5SUM of the LiveDVD ISO you downloaded, and did you check that the MD5SUM of the LiveDVD is correct? See the article 'HOWTO: Checking the integrity of a LiveCD or LiveDVD' in the SL Wiki for methods of doing this.

Before tackling your problem with no GUI after installation, I would try to find out why the LiveDVD is taking so long to boot. You might want to try some of the boot parameters (a.k.a. boot cheat codes) given in the SL Wiki aricle 'Boot parameters and workarounds for problematic Hardware'.

One of several possible causes of the black screen with a cursor in the top left of the screen is a problem with the video driver, although normally if the LiveDVD works then the installed OS should work too. I don't recognise your GPU. Perhaps changing to the more-basic VESA video driver would at least allow you to see a GUI. As you can get to a TTY console, log in as the root user and use the nano editor to edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the video driver to "vesa", save it and exit nano, and then enter the command "reboot". But I think something more fundamental is the problem because, as I wrote, your boot times are totally abnormal.

Do you see any error messages if you enter the dmesg command in a console? Try for both the LiveDVD and the installation on the HDD.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby harsan » Thu May 20, 2010 23:26

dmesg on the livecd produces two errors:
[ 626.573561] amd64_edac: probe of 0000:00:18.2 failed with error -22
[ 627.989438] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...

Before I went to bed last night, I flicked on the computer without the livedvd in it. I went to bed after about 10 minutes, while while it was "caching for services", or something like that. I can't remember and forgot to write it down, but it was the second thing it does when you alt+F1 for details.
When I woke up, I had a graphical login screen. Score!
dmesg on the installed system gives me these errors:

[ 420.613735] EXT3-fs (dm-0): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (40)
[ 420.614089] EXT2-fs (dm-0): error: couldn't mount because of unsupported optional features (40)
[ 420.648196] EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode
[ 626.573561] amd64_edac: probe of 0000:00:18.2 failed with error -22
[ 627.989438] Error: Driver 'pcspkr' is already registered, aborting...

the md5 sum of the iso I downloaded verifies, but the actual burned dvd doesn't verify when using the method laid out in the wiki. I'll reburn the liveDVD to a different disk and see if it boots better.
As of this working boot, I can't update entropy due to dependency issues with net-fs/samba, net-dns/avahi[mdnsresponder-compat], and sys-devel/automake-1.11* all either being masked or unavailable. I'm gonna consider the install broken for the moment.

Update: Burned the new liveDVD, checked the md5, everything matches. The boot times are still very long.
harsan
Baby Hen

Postby harsan » Fri May 21, 2010 21:44

Okay. The GUI problem has been fixed as of a reinstall, and the system has been run through the update process.
However, the boot is messed up. If I leave my computer alone during boot, I'm looking at upwards of 40 minutes worth of boot time :shock: . I timed it last night.
I don't know why, but if I do something, anything really, to the computer, it advances the boot process. If my keyboard isn't active yet (while the kernel is still loading modules), I'll unplug and replug something into a usb port. Once the keyboard is active I tap a direction button on the keyboard anytime it stalls, and my boot time is shortened significantly. It seems to stall out at certain places, and the next time I run through, I'll see if I can't write down where it's stalling at.
harsan
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area