Install applications on a per user basis

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Install applications on a per user basis

Postby prophet5 » Tue May 18, 2010 11:59

Hi, I ask this because I'm not sure how to install software on a Per User basis ie to install packages for one user that will not be used by any other user accounts. As I understand it, installing packages requires root, but root installs for all user accounts.

eg. Computer used by myself + staff. Each staff member has their own user account. Each staff member should be able to use email, but not web browse. So I don't want any web browsers installed on their accounts, but want a web browser on my account
Baby Hen

Re: Install applications on a per user basis

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 18, 2010 15:24

Probably the easiest way to do this is to use the Linux groups functionality. So, if you only want yourself to be able to use Firefox, create a new group (let's call it 'firefox', for sake of argument), add only yourself to that group and change the executable of Firefox to be executable by the group 'firefox'. See Mandriva Users Board - How do I restrict access to certain programs? [solved].
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area