emerge after entropy update

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

emerge after entropy update

Postby HufflepuffBR » Thu May 06, 2010 16:12

Hi!

I'm really new on Sabayon, although I'm experienced on Linux in various distros (Mandriva, Fedora, Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu). I'm trying Sabayon and after a fresh-install I used 'equo update' to update Sabayon. But reading "Convertingf to or from Debian", I'm feeling that could be more okay for me use 'emerge' and 'portage' than 'entropy'. Question is: could I finish this entropy update and safely start use emerge? How risky could be it.

Thanks

Fabio Costa
Brazil
HufflepuffBR
Baby Hen

Re: emerge after entropy update

Postby argonaut » Thu May 06, 2010 17:22

Hey Fabio - welcome to this nice forum,

I'm also new to this distro, but I thought to share with you the following links from Sabayon's wiki.

This will clarify many important things about entropy + portage, and if you really wanna use portage:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Safely_mix_Entropy_and_Portage

and Sabayon really stresses (to the best of my knowledge) that Entropy is the way to go. I believe entropy is a very cool idea; why not use it?
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

Enjoy!
Sabayon 5.4 AMD64 KDE 4.5.4
on Compaq Presario v5000us notebook
xorg-server-1.8.2, linux-sabayon-2.6.36-r1
1.5 GiB RAM
AMD Turion ML-32 64
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M
argonaut
Simple Hen

Re: emerge after entropy update

Postby HufflepuffBR » Thu May 06, 2010 20:11

I think I'll need some software not provided via Entropy, so I'll try and take it from Portage, placing the .configure; make; make install combo at last position.
HufflepuffBR
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area