How does HD space affect performance?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

How does HD space affect performance?

Postby krige » Tue May 04, 2010 8:01

I'm currently trying out different Linux distros to ultimately move from Ubuntu. Right now I have prepared a 8 GB partition for a new system and while that is indeed over the minimum requirements, I've seen figures of 15 or even 40 GBs for optimal space. Does the 8 GB partition affect just performance, or does it limit features I can get at the moment? Should I really expand the partition (right now I could probably spare four-five more GBs, it is an old rig)?
I'm still relatively green at linux, mind you :]
Baby Hen

Re: How does HD space affect performance?

Postby Thev00d00 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:08

A lot of space is needed, downloads of packages often take up a lot of space, as sabayon is so regularly updated they soon build up. Just makes sure you clean it out occasionally. 8)

Generally speaking it always good to have some free space as it reduces the distance the disk heads have to travel when reading and writing from different parts of the disk (as it can write to the free space) so will be faster.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog :
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area