KDE Sound/Volume Manager [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE Sound/Volume Manager [Solved]

Postby snuffy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:59

I'm using default atm "Kmix" and it gives me loads of options for sound management but I can't find any way to control volume for specific applications.

Is there another application I should install to have that ability? or maybe some settings i'm not using properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks guys!

Snuffy
Last edited by snuffy on Sat May 01, 2010 0:20, edited 2 times in total.
snuffy
Baby Hen

Re: KDE Sound/Volume Manager

Postby joeoden » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24

snuffy wrote:I can't find any way to control volume for specific applications.

Which applications are you trying to control the volume?

As a rule of the thumb if you adjust the volume in kmix then that is what the volume will be in the programs, some programs do have volume controls as well but most of them just adjust the volume in kmix

You haven't said if your sound is working
Is the sound working at all?
What sound card are you using?

More info please
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby snuffy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 14:26

Sorry. I do have sound. I can control my volume. I want to be able to mute(or lower) one program's sound and still have sound elsewhere.

For example: I was installing World of Warcraft last night and the installer which takes about an hour or so and plays background music. There's no way to turn that down or off and listen to music or watch youtube... or do anything rather but either mute all my sound or listen to 20 seconds of RP music looping over and over again for an hour straight.

I got the idea from windows 7 and windows Vista both have the ability to mute or control the volume for each running application.
snuffy
Baby Hen

Postby joeoden » Fri Apr 30, 2010 15:03

World of Warcraft is created by Blizzard Entertainment who make some pretty good games one of these games is Diablo 11 which has sound options, maybe Blizzard has the same on all of there games

What happens if you press the Esc key on the keyboard, with Diablo I get Options, Save and Exit or Return to Game
When I select Options another menu is displayed which has Sound Options, Video Options, Automap Options, Configure Controls and Previous Menu

When I select Sound Options the next page that is displayed has Sound and Music slider controls, I have the Music slider control slid as far as it can go to the left so I no longer have the music playing (scares the hell out our dogs)

If accessing the sound options for Warcraft is not the same as Diablo there most likely is a menu somewhere in the game that allows users to adjust the volume, if you can't find the controls refer to the users guide, Warcraft web site or the best thing to do is to search and/or ask on their forum
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby snuffy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 16:15

joeoden wrote:World of Warcraft is created by Blizzard Entertainment who make some pretty good games one of these games is Diablo 11 which has sound options, maybe Blizzard has the same on all of there games

Maybe I wasn’t being clear enough... I'm not asking about a workaround for this issue. I'm aware that some programs have options to turn sound down. I'm not looking to a fix for world of warcraft (I was talking about the installer not the game btw) it was just an example.

As the subject says for this post I’m looking for a KDE VOLUME MANAGER. Something that will manage my applications sounds for me not tips on how to use the sound menu in games. In case you're not sure, not every game and application has an options menu to control volume. I do appreciate you guys trying to help but you're totally missing the point of this post.

Again in case I’m not being specific enough; I'm looking for a solution to any situation from now and forever to mute sound of an application that does not give me options within to turn down or mute sound.

If anyone knows of a linux application that would help me with this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys :P

****EDIT**** Here's an example of what I'm talking about. This is from windows 7 volume control. It adds each running task with volume controls so you can manage each individually. Mac has the same feature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/attachments/sound-audio/31186d1255346101-any-way-disable-system-tray-volume-control-mixer.jpg

snuffy
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 18:33

Sure: Kickoff > Applications > Multimedia > PulseAudio Volume Control

Here's PulseAudio Volume Control while I'm playing Marina And The Diamonds' new album in the music player Clementine and watching a Russian animation video шестерёнки in the multimedia player VLC.

Notice that there is a Mute icon, as well as audio channel sliders, for each application.

(BTW, Marina And The Diamonds :thumright: )
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby snuffy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 19:17

I will give this a shot! Thank you very much for helping. If this will control more than mutlimedia applications I think this is exactly what I'm looking for!

I'll try it as soon as I get home!

Thanks again. :)
snuffy
Baby Hen

Postby snuffy » Sat May 01, 2010 0:19

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks man!

Thank you to everyone that tried to help me too. Lovin Sabayon so far! :alien:
snuffy
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area