Some Noobie Questions About Sabayon.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Some Noobie Questions About Sabayon.

Postby SabayonHead » Fri Apr 09, 2010 20:04

I recently got turned towards Sabayon from watching the video by Chris Pirilo on Youtube.
To be honest, i have watched it awhile back but the main reason I kind of stayed away was primarily due to it's size.
I wanted to put this on an older machine of mine but couldn't because the machine has a CD burner & a DVD reader ( but won't read burned DVD's )
I saw that there is a mini edition which might be able to help in that regard, which leads into my questions.

I installed Sabayon on 1 machine and plan to install on more. The thing that attracts me, and I know other users, is the fact it's a rolling release. People don't want to be bothered with always updating the whole system every 6 months to even a year ( general updating through the manager is fine but to burn and re-install can be a hassle )

Hence why I'm turning to Sabayon ( and getting others on board )

The questions I have are these.

1.Is the Mini Edition good for those who don't have a DVD player that will read burned DVD's?

2. How can I configure the updates? I think this is more of a KDE thing but just wanted to know ( for example: To be updated or notified every month instead of right away. On Gnome, this can be configured )

3. Would you say Sabayon is more KDEcentric or Gnome? ( Where is the focus more on ) I ask so I can mentally put a focus on what is what.
If KDEcentric ( to how I see it now as ) why not have KOffice & Konqueror as defaults with Firefox and OpenOffice as options?

Finally, To my understanding, a rolling release, like Sabayon, is an OS you install and update like any other OS ( though it takes longer because it updates the whole system instead of a file or two )
That would mean you make 1 install and update normally forever?

If this is the way it works, in how I assume, this is how to me, Linux should be.
Like I said earlier, people just want a machine that works and does the job. I know there are those who want a crispy clean box every so often but on a broader scale, people don't. They just want it to work, not lag, not bs them for the common things lol

This turned to be a little broad I know so I apologize if this overwhelms this section. If I need to, I'll split it up and post under the appropriate sections if need be.

So far, from trying Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Linux Mint KDE, And many more, I'm very satisfied with Sabayon thus far.

All the best : )
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Re: Some Noobie Questions About Sabayon.

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 21:44

SabayonHead wrote:1.Is the Mini Edition good for those who don't have a DVD player that will read burned DVD's?

The Mini Edition is out of date. It's history. The current KDE and GNOME editions run at about 2 Gb on a LiveDVD. Compared to the old SL releases that were around 4 Gb, the current releases are 'mini editions'. There is a Core Edition that is a 'bare bones' SL without desktop environment or wireless, for those users who want to roll their own (e.g. install E17 or whatever). If your PC's BIOS can be configured to boot from a USB pen drive then the SL LiveDVD ISO can be installed to a pen drive by using UNetbootin or similar, and SL booted from the 'LiveDVD' pen drive. This can be done even on netbooks or nettops that don't have DVD drives. (There are also techniques for installing Linux from an ISO even if one does not have a DVD drive: a search of the SL Forums throws up a few threads with links to instructions on how to do it.)

SabayonHead wrote:2. How can I configure the updates? I think this is more of a KDE thing but just wanted to know ( for example: To be updated or notified every month instead of right away. On Gnome, this can be configured )

Update notifications are managed by Entropy's Magneto, not the desktop environment. I don't have Entropy installed on my main laptop and don't have access to my other PCs running Entropy at the moment, so I can't check what cronjobs or config files there are, if any, for Magneto, so I'll let someone else answer that one.

SabayonHead wrote:3. Would you say Sabayon is more KDEcentric or Gnome? ( Where is the focus more on ) I ask so I can mentally put a focus on what is what.
If KDEcentric ( to how I see it now as ) why not have KOffice & Konqueror as defaults with Firefox and OpenOffice as options?

Before KDE 4 was released SL was definitely KDE-centric. The first releases of KDE 4 were so awful that a lot of people ditched KDE and moved to GNOME (Linus Torvalds included), and, although I use KDE, these days I perceive SL as GNOME-centric, or at least 50/50. I may be wrong, but to me it seems that more people post with queries about GNOME than KDE these days.

SabayonHead wrote:Finally, To my understanding, a rolling release, like Sabayon, is an OS you install and update like any other OS ( though it takes longer because it updates the whole system instead of a file or two )
That would mean you make 1 install and update normally forever?

Correct. If you are using the Entropy binary package manager then you update the OS using either the Entropy command line tool Equo or the Entropy GUI tool Sulfur. If you are using the Portage source package manager then you update the OS using either the Portage command line tool emerge or third-party GUI tools such as Portato.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby SabayonHead » Fri Apr 09, 2010 22:16

Much thanks for the quick and detail reply : )
you raise something about updating the OS, the normal way of how Sabayon updates ( by default ) would also update the os also right? Or do you have to be specific and throw the commands for it?

As for the notification alerts, yea I'll wait for someone to answer, the notifications are a little too much at times lol.

Gnome is cool but the windows users going to Linux usually feel better with kde than gnome ( hence why I preffer it for them)
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 22:36

SabayonHead wrote:you raise something about updating the OS, the normal way of how Sabayon updates ( by default ) would also update the os also right? Or do you have to be specific and throw the commands for it?

It does not update in the background without user action. If you have the Magneto notification agent enabled then it tells you there are updates waiting to be installed, and then you install them using either a simple command from the command line or clicks via the Sulfur GUI (similar concept to Windows Update). See the SL Wiki article on Entropy for full details, or a couple of posts in the SL 5.2 Press Release thread for an overview explanation.

SabayonHead wrote:As for the notification alerts, yea I'll wait for someone to answer, the notifications are a little too much at times lol.

It is possible to turn off the notifications or even uninstall just the Magneto notification agent if one wants. A search of the SL Forums throws up a thread on the subject: KDE Magneto Notifications time out.

SabayonHead wrote:Gnome is cool but the windows users going to Linux usually feel better with kde than gnome ( hence why I preffer it for them)

It comes down to personal preference. I used GNOME for two years but don't like it, although I still use it occasionally. I disliked the early incarnations of KDE 4 intensely, but like KDE again from 4.3.3 onwards and it works very well for me now and has some very nice features (even Amarok has become usable again at 2.3.0, although still not back up to the standard of 1.4).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby SabayonHead » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:32

yea, the Gnome & KDE is a personal but I was meaning it to be directed to the Sabayon devs on how people see Sabayon ( or atleast those I have come across, on and offline )

1 more quick question I forgot to ask...

Is there a way to have applications to auto run when starting up the OS? Auto run basically

Thats it for now lol

Thanks again for taking the time out : )
SabayonHead
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:06

SabayonHead wrote:1 more quick question I forgot to ask...

Is there a way to have applications to auto run when starting up the OS? Auto run basically

There certainly is. Actually, I should say "are", because there are quite a few ways. Probably the easiest for a newcomer to Linux is to put a Desktop Config File in the Autostart directory in the user's .kde4 directory, i.e put a Desktop Config File in /home/fitzcarraldo/.kde4/Autostart/ directory.

Let's say, for example, I want to launch the anti-virus GUI ClamTk automatically when I log-in to my KDE desktop environment. I right-click on the Desktop and select Create New > Link to Application... then I: a) enter "clamtk" (without the quotes) in the Command box on the apllication tab; b) fill in the Description and Comment boxes with whatever I want; c) give my Desktop Config File a meaningful name by entering e.g. "ClamTk Anti-Virus" in the box on the General tab; d) save it; e) right-click on the icon on my Desktop and click on Properties, then select a nice icon for my Desktop Config File (there is a pre-canned icon for ClamTk, so I pick that one); f) open the directory /home/fitzcarraldo/.kde4/Autostart/ in the Dolphin file manager and drag the icon from my Dekstop into it.

I've given you a blow-by-blow account of creating a Desktop Config File and putting it in the right place. The procedure is basically the same as creating a shortcut in Windows and dragging it into the Start folder or whatever it's called these days.

There are several other ways to launch applications on boot and log-in, but that's for another time.

SabayonHead wrote:Thats it for now lol

Thanks again for taking the time out : )

You're welcome. Don't forget to check the SL Wiki (see link at top of this page); there is a lot of useful introductory information plus more-advanced information there. Also the SL Forums Search facility throws up a lot of useful information as all these questions and more have been asked before. Also see the various sticky threads in the various SL Forums 'sheds' (forums) as they have links to useful resources for newcomers.

Have fun.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area