question considering more choice with sabayon installation

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

question considering more choice with sabayon installation

Postby melipone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 15:46

Hi,
just tested lately some distros (Xtreme4.0 (mandriva based), Mint, Ubuntu) and just say -> yea this is it, Sabayon is my best system, I just loved it, but... have an older notebook and Kde4 doesn't work as fast as I want it to be (even with off-ing most shade-blink-compizlike-effects), is there any possibility to Sabayon was a system like mint, where you can choose from installation time wether you want to use Kde 3 or Kde 4? I'm a newbie and fear of replacing kde 4 with 3 by myself from command line
appreciate any response!
regards
melipone
Baby Hen

Re: question considering more choice with sabayon installati

Postby joost » Thu Apr 08, 2010 15:55

KDE 3 is deprecated.
Upstream does not maintain that code anymore so we obviously ditched KDE 3 (togheter with all Qt:3)

So the answer would be No!
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby donnie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 16:31

kde3 looks really old... Dont want

Sabayon has fastest Firefox and Compiz i ever had !!

Really missing point is netbook installation profile. Noone in their mind will use gnome on netbook, i think - KDE or *box :)
donnie

Postby donnie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 16:35

i mean, add something like Enlightment with panel from the left side of screen and, add better support for backup and, wait for gcc 4.5 out with Atom support, compile and say ITS BLEEDING FAST!!

everyone will download and install, i think
donnie

Postby melipone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 17:13

ok, stay with it (kde), but... was deleting some programs which I consider unnecessary (none of kde important in my opinion) and finally after reboot at login menu I can't see menu kde (others are available), I'm newbie so don't know what I deleted that make kde even not visible as a choice, is there any chance I can write sth in console to bring kde start again? Really don't know what I messed up (deleted), remember some programs, games, but not kde connected things, how to bring kde back?
btw. very much thank you for faaaast response and sry for any english grammar mistakes, not english native speaker here
ps. quote: i mean, add something like Enlightment with panel from the left side of screen and, add better support for backup and, wait for gcc 4.5 out with Atom support, compile and say ITS BLEEDING FAST!! ----> enlightment is some kind of kde theme? how to add better support of backup; ok, waiting for gcc4.5, what is atom?
sry for probably annoying newbie question, want to stay with that distro!
melipone
Baby Hen

Postby donnie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 18:35

DO NOT delete, almost totally no sense from the beginning.

I deleted kde program and my sabayon kernel has gone - i even could not boot to command line!

The only way to safely delete: equo remove --nodeps. Another way: equo remove --ask (but be patient! Can delete all your desktop). And last (i think, somewhat more dangerous): equo remove --ask --configfiles

I dont know what would you do. Im a newbie too, and found this http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic ... 16&start=0

I will try Clonezilla because its only 100 mb and my resque partition is ~200
donnie

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area