Sabayon 5.2 - Gnome dies after first update

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon 5.2 - Gnome dies after first update

Postby digitaldingo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 16:14

Greetings People of Sabayon! :)

Being an Ubuntu user for almost four years, I've decided to try out the new Sabayon 5.2. What you are supposed to read from this is that I'm still not completely familiar with the package manager. ;)

The installation of Sabayon 5.2 goes without any troubles, but when I try to update the system, I run into problems. When I open the update manager, I get a message saying that Entropy is out of date, and that I should update it before anything else. I've tried both the command line version (which was written in the note the package manager) and updating via the GUI - both after a fresh reinstall.

I got a message about a problem (I've forgot what exactly it was) when updating via the terminal, but I get no errors when using the GUI. However, after the download is complete, no icons are showing up in any newly opened programs, and after a reboot I get the following two errors before reaching GDM:

Code: Select all
There was an error loading the theme Sabayon_Linux.

Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/backgrounds/kgdm.jpg'
and
Code: Select all
There was an error loading the theme, and the default theme could not be loaded. Attempting to start the standard greeter.

I'm then presented with a very "old school" login manager, and when trying to log into Gnome, I reach the desktop, but then it tries to start the file manager by putting a lot of "programs" in the panel saying "Starting File Manager". It seems to open these new "programs" forever, and the background and all icons are missing.

Failsafe Gnome has the same problem, but Fluxbox is unaffected, so I guess it's a problem with my update of Gnome. Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks in advance! :)
digitaldingo
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 5.2 - Gnome dies after first update

Postby digitaldingo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 17:42

Sorry, I found the same problem discussed here: http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=20284

I will continue the discussion there.
digitaldingo
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area