Not able to change screen resolution above 640x480

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Not able to change screen resolution above 640x480

Postby moosfett » Mon Apr 05, 2010 13:46

Hello and sorry for my faulty english :oops:

I have a problem with my screen resolution, i guess there is a driver problem with my graphics card. Already when i start a live system i've got a resolution about 640x480 and i'm not able to change this because there is no other possibility then this one. Curiously at boot time the resolution is about 1024x768 or 1280x1024. After the installation it is the same problem.

System: AMD Athlon XP 2400+ with 2GB of RAM and a the graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Now I don't know how to get an working driver for these graphics card because I usually don't have had any problems with my hardware on linux. I just got some experience with Gentoo Linux and there where no graphic problems at the same system.

It would be very nice if someone could help me solving this problem so I can checkout Sabayon. 640x480 is really not funny :-)

regards, Tobi
moosfett
Baby Hen

Re: Not able to change screen resolution above 640x480

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00

I don't have your hardware, but it does look like a video driver issue, doesn't it? You could try using kernel boot parameters (also known as 'cheat codes'); see the SL Wiki articles Cheat Codes and Boot parameters and workarounds for problematic Hardware. You pess F5 at the boot menu of the LiveDVD and enter the boot parameters. I would try parameters such as: xdrivers=radeon, or xdrivers=radeonhd, or xdrivers=ati, and/or res=1024x768, and/or noddc.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area