I need Help making a Live DVD or CD

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

I need Help making a Live DVD or CD

Postby Iwastedvds » Thu Apr 01, 2010 20:34

I know what an iso image is and everything else. I NEED a LIVE CD OR DVD. I already wasted 2 DVDS :(

I need these steps:

1) Give me the exact link for where I can get Sabayon-gnome-i386 or whatever-iso

2) What software that you would use to burn the LIVE image to the cd or dvd. (I have ubuntu , linux mint, windows xp, and vista)

Thank you.

I am using a sony dvd+r and sony cd-r
Iwastedvds
Baby Hen

Re: I need Help making a Live DVD or CD

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 21:04

The SL (Sabayon Linux) Wiki has an article telling you how to burn an ISO file to a DVD to create a LiveDVD:

HOWTO: Burn Sabayon from Windows

Also be sure to check the MD5SUM of the ISO you download. Again, look in the SL Wiki for articles on how to do this. The SL Wiki has a Search facility.

The mirrors to download ISO files are accessible if you click on the link Download at the top right of this page. Just choose a mirror near you and click on the ISO folder and click on Sabayon_Linux_5.2_x86_G.iso to download the ISO for the 32-bit GNOME edition of SL 5.2, and Sabayon_Linux_5.2_x86_G.iso.md5 to download the text file containing the MD5SUM for the ISO.

Read the Press Release for SL 5.2 to see that the minimum hardware requirements (including CPU) and other important information.

If you're using Ubuntu, then GnomeBaker can be used to burn a LiveDVD. Alternatively, Google throws up many ways of creating a LiveDVD from an ISO; here's just one of them: How To Burn an .ISO image in 3-Clicks (CD or DVD).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Iwastedvds » Thu Apr 01, 2010 22:24

GREAT thanks for your help SO FAR.

Now please click the download button on the site and tell me which one you would choose to click for me.

I have no idea what an md5sum is.

I used brasero which didn't work out because it said incompatible medium.

I used nero to write (it didn't say burn) the file to the cd.

I will give isorecorder a try.

How did you get the line thingy bobber to appear on all of your replies replies (the text under the line.) Didja attach a file :bom: ?
Iwastedvds
Baby Hen

Postby eshum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 22:59

First what image do you need 32 or 64 bit? second I normally use k3b to burn iso disks with a burn speed of 2x or slower. Three you will need a DVD disk to burn the image to. four if you are burning the disk with windows and nero you would use image burn if I remember correctly I do not use windows to burn linux iso disks.
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby eshum » Fri Apr 02, 2010 0:41

This is were I prefer to download Sabayon http://cross-lfs.sabayonlinux.org I always get clean downloads here.
eshum
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:26

Iwastedvds wrote:I have no idea what an md5sum is.

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Also be sure to check the MD5SUM of the ISO you download. Again, look in the SL Wiki for articles on how to do this. The SL Wiki has a Search facility.

Iwastedvds wrote:How did you get the line thingy bobber to appear on all of your replies replies (the text under the line.) Didja attach a file :bom: ?

When you are posting in the white box, look at the top of the box and you will see a set of buttons. One of them has "URL" on it. Hover your mouse cursor over it and it will tell you the syntax you have to use in your post. Click it and it will insert the codes into your post to help you make a link. You will also see buttons for formatting your text, such as B, i, u, Quote, Code, and so on. Click them to see what they do. The codes are called BBCodes. Please read about them here.

So, let's say, for example, that I know a good Web page and want to provide a link to it in my post. Let's say the Web page is http://www.google.com/. I would type the following in my post (without the spaces between the characters in the BBCode, which I've had to insert to stop the following from actually displaying the phrase "Google is your friend" as a link:

[ u r l = http://www.google.com/]Google is your friend[ / u r l ]

Now I'm going to type the same thing as I did above, but remove all the spaces:

Google is your friend
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Iwastedvds » Fri Apr 02, 2010 20:07

I already know about THAT, I was taking about your computer info UNDER the line that says:

Sabayon Linux amd64, kernel 2.6.33-sabayon (dual boot Windows 7)
KDE 4.4.1
Mesh Edge DX
- Intel Core i7 720QM (1.6 GHz)
- 4 GB DDR3
- 15.6" LCD (1920x1080)
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650, 1 GB GDDR3
- 320 GB HDD
- Intel WiFi Link 5300
- Broadcom BT

That thing.
Iwastedvds
Baby Hen

Postby Iwastedvds » Fri Apr 02, 2010 20:12

This is solved thanks to this How To Burn an .ISO image in 3-Clicks (CD or DVD)

Thank You all for you help. Brasero is a hypocritical program.
Iwastedvds
Baby Hen

Postby throdon » Fri Apr 02, 2010 20:33

the thing you are refering to in fitz's post is called a signature. if you use the signature function you type it once and it appears on all your posts.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby LewRockwellFAN » Sat Apr 10, 2010 0:51

I'm not totally clear on what OP wanted to do. Of course as the respondents implied (but perhaps not explicitly enough - OP doesn't sound like a native anglophone or geekspeakophone. No offense, OP) the installation DVDs made from the isos ARE live DVDs. These are not two different things. This is the way most linux distros are now. The installation CD or DVD will boot as a live OS direct from the CD or DVD if you select that option during the boot.

Alternately, if you are looking to make your own custom live CD Remastersys is totally cool. I haven't tried it with Sabayon yet but I've made several Ubuntu custom live CDs with it. It is not listed in sulfur but google it if you want to try it. You can probably make it work.
LewRockwellFAN
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area