No sound in Toshiba A205 laptop [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

No sound in Toshiba A205 laptop [Solved]

Postby chipps » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:08

This is a very intriguing distro, I just tonight installed this (the new 5.2, Gnome) as a triple boot between Mint 8 and Vista. This is also the very first distro I've tried that my sound didn't work on. I searched these forums and followed the advice here:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=19946&p=114123&hilit=mv+%2Fusr%2Fbin%2Fpulseaudio+pulseaudio.backup#p114123

Namely, I did "mv /usr/bin/pulseaudio /usr/bin/pulsaudio.backup". This didn't work. Does anyone have a clue how to get sound working? I can't do what I could in Mint, such as post the results of lsusb and lspci, as those commands don't exist in Sabayon.

System is a Toshiba A205-XXXX (S5804 I believe) laptop, upgrades are 2 gig ram and 500gb HD.
chipps
Baby Hen

Re: No sound in Toshiba A205 laptop

Postby chipps » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:30

Ok so an update already, after re-following that link I posted, and restoring pulseaudio itself after the rename, the magic command was "alsamixer".... I ran this program in the terminal, hit F6 and selected my audio device ("HDA Intel") and at that point was able to raise the volume of "Speaker" (which was zero) to the max, and now it works.

Hope this helps someone in a similar situation.
chipps
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:32

please be sure to familiarize yourself with our wiki
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... _Questions
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:15

chipps, for future reference please mark your threads as solved if your problem is resolved. Thanks. I'll do it for you this time. See the thread Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read. for details of how to do it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area