Sabayon doesn't load "live" nor installation in VirtualBox

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon doesn't load "live" nor installation in VirtualBox

Postby LOTW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 0:42

Well hi everyone, I'm new to linux in general, I've used Ubuntu (while still using Win7) for a while(1-2 months) but I got bored, and again I want to give it a try again, so I decided to change distro and here I am. Now the problem, I downloaded Sabayon this friday (for my surprise 5.2 was still hot XD) but since I only have 1 DVD left I decided to try it first in VirtualBox, and it loads the menu but when i choose 1 option (happens the same in anyone) a message box appears saying: "starting, Loading linux kernel" and the progress bar fills up til 100%, then appears a black screen filled with nothing!, several times I've tried different options and waited a while for something to happen though nothing :(. Is this a problem with the distro, with the ISO, with VirtualBox, or something else? Please help me, if I have to download again the iso I will if you say me so, I really want to try Sabayon, thanks in advance.

Moderator Edit: I have appended "in VirtualBox" to your Subject to clarify that you are referring specifically to use in VirtualBox.
LOTW
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon doesn't load "live" nor installation

Postby ChaosKiller » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:24

I have the same problem. I have, however, succesfuly installed it on my harddisk and it loads just fine as a live-dvd. It seems to be a problem in VB.
ChaosKiller
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon doesn't load "live" nor installation

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:51

If you have a big enough pen drive (mine's 4 Gb), you can use UNetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) or Linux Live USB Creator (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/), both available for Windows, to install the ISO to the pen drive and automatically (and easily) create a bootable pen drive that loads SL. Basically it's like a fast LiveDVD. That way you can try out SL and have the benefit of a very fast 'LiveDVD'. When you're done just reformat the pen drive.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Sabayon doesn't load "live" nor installation in VirtualB

Postby LOTW » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45

Thank you Fitzcarraldo, I forgot about USB-booting and ChaosKiller you were also right, so I guess is a problem with VB, now I have Sabayon :) installed, but I can't get a succesful wireless conection though I set everything as should be (I guess) as essid, bssid, pass, etc., but I think I'll solve this, and again thanks.
LOTW
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43

You didn't mention which edition (GNOME or KDE) you are using. I recall that when I installed the GNOME edition of SL 5.0 or 5.1-r1 (I can't recall now) to a pen drive a while back, the wired networking did not work until I lowered the MTU thus:

Code: Select all
# ifconfig eth0 mtu 1492

I didn't try wireless networking with the pen drive installation, though, so not sure whether that side of things worked. I lent the pen drive to someone a couple of weeks ago, so can't try it now. Anyway, another thing to try if you're using a WPA-encrypted network with a hidden SSID is to uncloak the SSID in the router and then try to connect with your PC running SL. If it connects you can hide the SSID again if you want (although hiding the SSID is unnecessary, actually). Depending on your wireless hardware another thing to investigate is whether another wireless driver module is loaded and is interfering with the correct one, and needs to be blacklisted. The forums Search facility will throw up a couple of recent threads on the subject.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby alcor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 23:22

I get "boot error" when I tried any version on virtualbox creating the USB with UNetbootin or LinuxLive....

What can I do ??

Thanks !
alcor
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area