Time of czech zone is not right about 2 hours [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Time of czech zone is not right about 2 hours [Solved]

Postby pavav » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23

Just an idea:
It is possible that the settings in /etc/conf.d/hwclock, are in the other distribution(Kubuntu) respectively:
Code: Select all
clock = "UTC"
and
clock_systohc = "YES"

Then when you restart from Kubuntu to Sabayon, hardware time is set to UTC, from which emerge two hours difference in Sabayon.
pavav
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:37

pherynk made no mention of dual booting. However, if you are dual booting between two different distributions, be it Ubuntu Linux and Sabayon Linux or any other combination, and one of those distributions is configured to assume that the hardware clock is storing UTC whereas the other distribution is configured to assume that the hardware clock is storing local time, then of course it will cause this effect. See Mandriva changes time in Sabayon and Fedora? [Solved].
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pavav » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:52

Maybe I'm wrong because pherynk mentioned that:
I cannot boot in verbose mode, because my first bootable distro in grub is kubuntu. But in boot there is an item, that system time failed.

and before that:
I can change time using command kdesu systemsettings and than change time. But after several change of distro I must command repeat.

It was just an idea of what could be the possible cause of his problem.
pavav
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:58

pavav wrote:Maybe I'm wrong because pherynk mentioned that:
I cannot boot in verbose mode, because my first bootable distro in grub is kubuntu. But in boot there is an item, that system time failed.

My apologies, I didn't notice he wrote that later in this thread. Anyway, if he is doing that, he needs to change it because every time he boots a different distribution he's going to end up setting his hardware clock wrongly for the other distribution. Both distributions either need to be configured to assume local time, or both distributions need to be configured to assume UTC. One obviously cannot mix the two on the same PC with a single hardware clock.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby pavav » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:16

Or he can play with setting:
Code: Select all
clock_systohc = "YES"

and timezone, but it is not necessary, since both operating systems are Linux.

Now pherynk will have the final say to determine whether both problems are solved or not. :)
Last edited by pavav on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
pavav
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:20

And I would still like to know the precise error message he wrote that he sees at boot:

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
pherynk wrote:I noticed with boot that distro doesnt accept system time from my bios.

Do you mean that, if you boot in Verbose Mode, you see an error message on the console? If you do, what is the error message (check also in /var/log/messages)?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area