how do I get my Belkin F5D8053 working? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

how do I get my Belkin F5D8053 working? [Solved]

Postby smitty654 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 15:18

I'm having trouble getting my Belkin F5D8053 wireless installed. I tried all the commands in the wireless tutorial. It shows up on wlan0, but doesn't seem to work, for some reason. It doesn't show as an access point, I noticed. It never shows up in network connections. But, I do see it listed in the "Wired" section. The device works in Windows, so I know it's not the hardware itself. And, this is on a fresh install of 5.1. I had it before working in another distro using WINE, but I don't know how to install separate packages that I download here the right way, without it breaking.
smitty654
Baby Hen

Re: how do I get my Belkin F5D8053 working?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Mar 26, 2010 20:39

Google says that the Belkin F5D8053 requires the Linux rt2800 driver, which is still in development:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/phpBB/vi ... &start=135

Seems you're out of luck for the moment. Do you have access to another USB wireless adapter?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby smitty654 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 0:27

The funny thing about it is that it worked in Archlinux 2007 via "ndiswrapper -i", and everything. but, it doesn't seem to work or recognize right in this particular distro. If worse comes to worse, I'll just get a better supported one for Linux, anyway. What wirless device would you recommend that's supported best in Sabayon? Is it best to avoid Belkin for wireless, alltogether? It seems they make only Windows drivers. I'd rather have one that supports LInux more. This reminds of the whole "WinModem" modems issues in Linux where it's proprietary software that works best in Windows, but not in Linux!
smitty654
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 14:22

If you've tried and got it working with ndiswrapper in another Linux distribution then my guess would be that you have another driver module in SL loaded that is blocking it. Try using lsmod to see if any other wireless driver modules are loaded and, if they are, try blacklisting them one by one to see if it helps. If you don't know how to blacklist modules, search the SL Forums and you'll find another recent thread with instructions on how to do it.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby smitty654 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 17:46

problem solved! I had to blacklist a whole bunch of modules being loaded (attached to the end of my "/etc/modeprobe.d/blacklist.conf" file):
Code: Select all
#blacklist rt2870sta
blacklist rt2800usb
blacklist rt2x00usb
blacklist rt2x00lib
blacklist rt3070sta

Noticed I commented out the rt2870sta, which is the one that worked and said it was already installed when I used:
Code: Select all
ndiswrapper -i

Thanks for the lift Fitzcarraldo! For those that are curious, I used the Sabayon Gamers Edition 5.1 DVD for my primary install.
smitty654
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 20:26

You're welcome. Glad you got it sorted.

I'll mark this thread as solved this time but, for future reference, please see the thread: Why, and how to add "[Solved]" to your post. Please read.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area