Which version is right for me?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Which version is right for me?

Postby 007math » Sun Mar 21, 2010 17:26

I go to this link ( but I do not know which version to install. Are all of these Live CD's so I won't have to install anything, right? My laptop has 2.5 GB RAM and has a Core 2 Duo processor and currently runs Vista Home Premium SP2. Which version should I get?
Baby Hen

Re: Which version is right for me?

Postby micia » Sun Mar 21, 2010 18:23

Hi, welcome to the Sabayon Forums! :mrgreen:
You should choose the latest version for your architecture, with a Desktop Environment that suit your tastes, your processor is a 64 bit one, so you can choose the 64 bit version too.

So you can choose from:
Code: Select all

Those ending with a "G" use Gnome as their desktop environment, those with "K" use KDE4.
Those with x86 are for 32bit machines (but they are compatible with 64bit too), those with AMD64 are for 64bit CPU (like yours).
The Gaming edition is a special edition with many games, see this release announcement:

Be sure to check the MD5, downloading the file that matches your ISO, there is an article on the wiki:

And read this post, it will help you for updating the system when you will complete the installation:

There is also the 5.1CoreCD release, which is a minimal (command line only) version, it is for experienced users that want to build their system from scratch.
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area