Nautilus Share tab missing

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Nautilus Share tab missing

Postby Nab!!daN » Sun Mar 21, 2010 14:41

Hi all,

I'm new to Sabayon and I've a little issue with my Nautilus, there is no menu to share a folder by right clicking on it .

I'm using Sabayon 5.1, "2.6.31" x64 bits, and Gnome Desktop 2.28.2.

I see my computer and access other windows / linux shares in my local Workgroup, but I found no way to share properly a folder.

I wonder if I'm not missing the package : gnome-user-share [ Masked ] , as it seems to be masked.

Any direction or idea to help me to solve this little issue is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

bye.
Nab!!daN
Baby Hen

Re: Nautilus Share tab missing

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 17:42

Don't use GNOME myself these days, but have a look at the following How To for configuring Nautilus (GNOME) and Dolphin/Konqueror (KDE) for brwosing Samba shares under openSUSE. Not sure if it will help you, but as no GNOME users have responded to your plea, I thought at least I'd reply. I take it you've already edited /etc/samba/smb.conf and put in your home network's workgroup name and you PC's NetBIOS name?

http://opensuse.swerdna.org/susesimpleshares.html
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Nab!!daN » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:09

Hi,

Thanks for your response, I saw this link before and made some configuration, indeed you are right to assume that I have added my Workgroup and NetBios name.

Reading the link you sent me two things let me think I miss something:

they speak about RPM as link concerns openSUSE:

Software RPMs: Check and if necessary install RPMs samba, samba-client and nautilus-share.

Code: Select all
Linux xxx 2.6.31-sabayon #1 SMP Mon Mar 1 19:17:04 UTC 2010 x86_64 Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

equo search nautilus-share
>>  @@ Searching...
>>   #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>  @@ No matches.

emerge --search nautilus-share
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : nautilus-share ]
[ Applications found : 0 ]

and also the samba.conf which differs a bit from the link, is the following right ?

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
  guest account = pcguest
# Allow users to map to guest:
#  map to guest = bad user

I created a usershares folder as describe as well:

ls -l /var/lib/samba
drwxrwx--T  2 root users  4096 Mar 24 12:47 usershares

By the way this still not explain the missing gnome menu which in my opinion is provided by a gnome / nautilus package rather than samba itself, even if my samba was not working I should be able to see and use (with failure) this share menu.

Not sure where to go now :p

I will try spend some time on it soon.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Nab!!daN
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Mar 27, 2010 13:56

Yes, I should have mentioned that you should obviously make the appropriate allowances for the fact that Swerdna's 'How To' is for a different Linux distribution. SL does not use RPM (Red Hat Package Manager), it uses Entropy or Portage.

So for SL the packages to check and if necessary install would be samba, samba-client (both of which should have been installed by default in the case of SL) and nautilus-share. The last of these is not in Portage or Entropy so you would need to install it using a Portage local overlay. An ebuild is in Gentoo Bugzilla bug Report No. 93400. You can search the SL Forums or SL Wiki for examples of installing packages using a local overlay; basically here is how to do it:

1. Open a Terminal window and log-in as root user.

2. Make sure your main Portage tree and Sabayon overlay are synchronised (up-to-date):

emerge --sync
layman -S

(If you're an Entropy user then do not emerge portage if emerge --sync tells you there is a new version of portage.)

3. Use the nano editor:

nano /etc/make.conf

to edit the file /etc/make.conf and add the following line at the end (if it's not there already):

PORTDIR_OVERLAY="${PORTDIR_OVERLAY} /usr/local/portage/"

Actually, while you're at it, check that you have the following line in /etc/make.conf too, so that any packages requiring licence acknowledgement get that acknowledgement automatically:

ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"

4. Download to your Desktop the file nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1.ebuild and the file nautilus-2.22.patch from the linked page that I gave above. Click on the file link and select File > Save Page As... if you're using Firefox.

5. Create a directory for nautilus-share in a local overlay on your HDD, copy the ebuild to it and create a manifest for the ebuild:

mkdir -p /usr/local/portage/gnome-extra/nautilus-share/files
cd /usr/local/portage/gnome-extra/nautilus-share
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1.ebuild .
cp /home/fitzcarraldo/Desktop/nautilus-2.22.patch ./files
ebuild nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1.ebuild manifest

6. Now open the following file using the nano editor:

nano /etc/portage/package.keywords

and add the following line to it in order to unmask the nautilus-share package by keyword:

gnome-extra/nautilus-share **

7. Finally, merge (install) the package:

emerge -1v nautilus-share

8. If you're an Entropy user then don't forget to let Entropy know what you did via Portage:

equo database gentoosync

9. Log out of the root user's account:

exit

10. Try to follow the openSUSE How To I gave the link for in my previous post.

N.B. If you have not already done so, before doing the above you should check which version of Layman is installed on your PC and whether the configuration files have all been updated for the new source directory path for Layman. See the SL Forums thread Layman storage path changed from version 1.3.0 on for full details.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Panuzio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 15:25

Dear Fitz,
I very thank you at all, but I had an error.
>>> Installing (1 of 1) gnome-extra/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1
 * checking 24 files for package collisions
ERROR: Invalid atom: '<nautilus-share-0.7.0'
 * ERROR: gnome-extra/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1 failed:
 *   unexpected portageq exit code: 2
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   48:  Called pkg_preinst
 *   environment, line 2887:  Called has_version '<nautilus-share-0.7.0'
 *     ebuild.sh, line  178:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *            die "unexpected portageq exit code: ${retval}"
 * If you need support, post the output of 'emerge --info =gnome-extra/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1',
 * the complete build log and the output of 'emerge -pqv =gnome-extra/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1'.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/portage/'
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/lib/entropy/logs/gnome-extra:nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1:20100401-141644.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/gnome-extra/nautilus-share-0.7.2-r1/temp/environment'.
Francesco
Ride of Sabayon (Mania) penguins
Gnome is dead!
Gnome 2 forever!

Linux portatile 4.4.0-sabayon #1 SMP Sat May 14 18:04:56 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Panuzio
Growing Hen

Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Apr 02, 2010 16:00

Panuzio, the error message you are getting seems to me to be due either to the version of Portage installed on your PC or to the version of Python installed on your PC. You can't change the version of Portage yourself under Entropy, so my suggestion would be for you to file a request for the nautilus-share package to be added to the Entropy repository. That way joost will sort out the dependency issues and build a binary package that can be installed via Entropy instead of Portage. To file a package request, click on the Bugs link at the top right of this page.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Panuzio » Tue Apr 06, 2010 23:24

I made it.
Here is the complete log: http://pastebin.com/A1vrtywN
I hope it is useful.
Francesco
Ride of Sabayon (Mania) penguins
Gnome is dead!
Gnome 2 forever!

Linux portatile 4.4.0-sabayon #1 SMP Sat May 14 18:04:56 UTC 2016 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350 @ 2.27GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
Panuzio
Growing Hen

Location: Firenze, Toscana, Italia (Florence, Tuscany, Italy)

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area