New to Sabayon, not to Linux

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

New to Sabayon, not to Linux

Postby sabian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 13:56

Hi guys...
Just want to let you know 2 days with no crashes with Sabayon. Last July I got an HP a6720y (AMD Phenom x4, 6 gigs of RAM) and the other distros periodically hiccup to the point of random hangs (hard freezes) which require a hard power off (and subsequent fsck). I tried Sabayon 4.0 at the time I got the PC, but it (and several other distros) didn't like my kvm switch. That being said, I've downloaded and installed 5.1 rc1 (KDE/AMD64) and for 2 days, no hangs. Cool....
Now if I can only run the "universal translator" to bridge the gap between apt-get and entropy and sulfur and synaptic.
(Are there any cheet sheets?) I do want to add that I've been a long-time Linux user, mainly Debian SID (www.sidux.com), but I look forward to a new distro.
Great job guys...

-Sabian
--I am the Negotiator
sabian
Young Hen

Re: New to Sabayon, not to Linux

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47

Regarding "cheat sheets", take a look at the articles in the SL Wiki (link at top right of this page). Some of the stuff is out of date, but a lot of it is still valid/relevant.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sabian » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:54

Thanks...
Been making my way through the doc most of the night...
-Sabian
--I am the Negotiator
sabian
Young Hen

Postby sabian » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58

Let me just say... What a great distro... 4 days and no crashes.... I'm even getting comfortable with sulfur (instead of synaptic/apt-get).
-Sabian
--I am the Negotiator
sabian
Young Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area