No GUI (but do have console) [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: No GUI (but do have console)

Postby nightliz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16

As I said in my last post, doing what you put in your last post gives me a black screen. Nothing. Not a blinking cursor.

OK, so how do I fix the nox problem if I cannot comment it out?

Yes, I have a console, a command prompt, a terminal, etc., as noted in the topic title. This is how I have been running the commands everyone has suggested and getting output.

The text installer was the only one that would work. As I stated in my original post, NONE of the graphical installers nor running a live session worked. ALL of them went to a black screen.
Hp Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHz 2.13 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM
Sabayon Linux 5.1.33 (Dual Boot with Windows 7)
nightliz
Young Hen

Postby micia » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:31

To boot with X you should remove "gentoo=nox" from the boot command.
The boot command should become:
Code: Select all
root (hd0,3)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/sda4 dolvm init=/linuxrc splash=verbose,theme:sabayon vga=791 console=tty1 quiet resume=swap:/dev/sda3 real_resume=/dev/sda3
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.31-sabayon
savedefault

gentoo=nox is an option that will force to boot without X.
There are some informations here:
http://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=18646#p106431

But I suspect that doing that would boot you into a black screen.
You could try it editing the boot lines at the grub prompt, without editing grub.conf, using the 'e' key.
If you get a black screen try pressing ctrl+Alt+F2, login as root in that console and use:
reboot

to reboot the PC.

can you post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

You could also try to update to the latest kernel (linux-sabayon package), to see if the problem goes away.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby nightliz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 22:37

Tried removing the line and got that lovely (completely) black screen again, not even the blinking cursor. However, pressing ctrl+alt+f2 did nothing. Neither did any other combination of ctrl+alt+f*. Could not reboot from root because I lost the terminal, so I had to do a hard reset.

I followed the instructions at http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... ng_Entropy to upgrade the kernel to linux-2.6.33-sabayon. I rebooted, tried to remove nox again, and got the black screen of death! The caps lock light flashes when it's on the black screen. Not sure if it did that before or not.

Rebooted, leaving the nox, and present /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Module"
      SubSection "extmod"
           Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
      EndSubSection
      Load       "i2c"
      Load       "ddc"
      Load       "vbe"
      Load       "dri"
      Load       "glx"
      Load       "synaptics"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
       Option      "AllowMouseOpenFail"       "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
      VertRefresh       43-60
      HorizSync          28-80
EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier  "SabayonVga0"
      Driver       "intel"
      #BusID      "PCI:00:02"
      #Option "RenderAccel" "on"
      #Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
      #Option "BusType" "PCI"
      #Option "ColorTiling" "on"
      #Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
      Option "UseEvents" "True"
      Option "LogoPath" "usr/share/backgrounds/sabayonlinux-nvidia.png"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

Identifier      "Screen0"
      Device          "SabayonVga0"
      Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
      #Option         "AddARGBLXVisuals" "true"

DefaultDepth 24

SubSection "Display"
            Depth                  8
            ViewPort              0 0
            #Modes                "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
      EndSubsection

SubSection "Display"
            Depth                  16
      EndSubsection
      SubSection "Display"
            Depth                  24
      EndSubsection

EndSection

Section "DRI"
      Mode 0666
EndSection

Section "ServerLayot"
      Identifier      "Main Layout"
      Screen 0       "Screen 0"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
      #Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
Hp Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC, Intel Core i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13 GHz 2.13 GHz, 4.00 GB RAM
nightliz
Young Hen

Postby mobilehunter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:09

May be you can also share your /var/log/Xorg.0.log content.
I think there will be any clues there.
mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Postby nightliz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 21:56

Dangit! Sabutil was pointless to get Xorg.log! Know what it put into the pastebin?
/var/log/Xorg.log

Interesting. Xorg.log is empty, but Xorg.log.old has all kinds of stuff in it. I suppose I shall post it. It appears to be from the previous kernel version, which I updated in an attempt to fix the probelm (ie the update didn't kill the GUI, at least not on its own).
http://www.sabayon.org/pastie/3476

And just because/for reference
/var/log/kdm.log
http://www.sabayon.org/pastie/3470

Hardware info
http://www.sabayon.org/pastie/3469

Yay sabutil :)
nightliz
Young Hen

Postby micia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:54

I found out that those chipsets are pretty new, and there is still limited support for them in the kernel and libdrm, so maybe having the most updated kernel and libdrm could help, you could try to use portage to update libdrm and check if it works.
The latest version of libdrm is available in the Sabayon Limbo testing repository too, you could try to add that repository, update the libdrm package, and then remove that repository, hoping that the problem will be solved.

To add the repository follow these instructions:
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy#Testing_Branch_.2F_Rolling_Releases
Since that repository is for testing only, update only the necessary packages (just libdrm and dependencies, if needed).
(you can use nano to edit /etc/entropy/repositories.conf using the console)

Hope it helps...
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby nightliz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 20:09

Ah, that would make sense. I haven't tried the fix yet, but I will give it a go in a bit.

You know, I decided to try Sabayon instead of Ubuntu (which has a GUI on the new comp) because I wanted to get into Linux more deeply. Troubleshooting a computer and being forced to work only with the command line threw me into the fray, and I'm learning because I have to. I guess that means I'm succeeding?
nightliz
Young Hen

Postby throdon » Fri Mar 19, 2010 20:32

when you are comfortable with Sabayon, get yourself some spare time, spare computer and a paper notebook. then look up the gentoo handbook and join the gentoo forum and do a gentoo install. You will be amazed how much you will learn and almost everything can be carried back over to Sabayon.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby nightliz » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:58

Well, I added Limbo, updated libdrm and dependencies, removed Limbo, and removed nox again. Same old problem. I am beginning to think I just need to wait for Sabayon to catch up with my computer and try a different distro until then.

I realize I am going completely n00b here, but why can I get a GUI with, say, Fedora or Ubuntu, and not with Sabayon? I mean, is it a difference in kernels, or packages, or what?

Funnily enough, throdon, I almost tried Gentoo, but became very intimidated around page five of the installation instructions and decided to try something slightly less technical first... Sabayon! Guess that didn't work lol
nightliz
Young Hen

Postby throdon » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11

i used Sabayon for two years before I took the Gentoo plunge. I had tried to install before using Knoppix, system rescue, ubuntu and even the Gentoo minimal cd. the easiest way is start monitering the forum regularly about a month before you start. keep a paper notebook handy so you can document your install. have spare time and a separate computer(reason: you have a dedicated computer that you can search for gentoo related things, play games, and surf the internet. as you install)
take your time DO NOT RUSH!!! Bookmark everything(I have about 100 Gentoo related bookmarks from my install) also read, learn and bookmark Sabayon's wiki and the new users resourceshttp://forum.sabayon.org/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=16505 in the beginners forum(these were more comfortable after two years than some of the Gentoo hand book pages((ie. the /etc/make.conf page and USE flags and CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS)) ). take the install in stages break it down like the handbook is broken down if you are not comfortable ask for help on the forum. Lots of good people over there and some are even here, I know alot of the sabayon people are former or current Gentooers. If in the Gentoo forum DO NOT ask questions about Sabayon as Sabayon is unsupported over there and they will put your thread in the unsupported forum stay on subject over there(Gentoo). Last and I cannot stress this enough READeverything you can about Gentoo, even posts that you don't think pertain to you because sometimes they will.

wgetpaste= probably the best command line tool to share and let someone see codes and error logs while keeping the forum tidy and clean

be carefull about typing the command line syntax. make sure if there is a capital C you type a capital C, If you type with muscle memory /ect/make.conf will give you a blank document while /etc/make.conf will be the proper document I learned the hardway about spelling mistakes and capitalization just thought I would pass the word. Good luck if you do proceed onto Gentoo. I will eventually do it again because I miss it but for now Sabayon is my home and I am happy.
one last thing I say Gentoo does not have a progress bar, because it's in your head. the amount of things you learn just getting to the reboot is amazing, and you will be comfortable your typing skills will improve and getting your box to do something without a GUI is pretty cool. Sorry I am rambling.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area