battery not fully charging [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

battery not fully charging [Solved]

Postby juuce79 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43

Hi all =)

I installed Sabayon on both my laptops, a fujitsu-siemens amilo xi2528 and a acer aspire one (the netbook), everything is great on the siemens... well, except for the cam, but on my acer netbook i have two problems.

The first is that the battery only charges to 80% but the charging light stays on. I don't think this has anything to do with the battery as it was perfect when i was running win7 and this is the newer of the two laptops, and the siemens seems to be doing just fine with a really bad battery.

The second problem i have with the acer netbook is that the splash screen won't load at start-up, which isn't really a problem as much as an annoyance, but it gives me the error code 256

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially with the battery problem as I'm now losing 20% of my battery time.

All in all I just want to say that Sabayon is absolutely great and overall I'm very happy I made the switch =)
Last edited by juuce79 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:24, edited 1 time in total.
juuce79
Baby Hen

Re: battery not fully charging

Postby Darksurf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:56

This is fine. Believe it or not, there are two possibilities. Neither of which are giving you any less battery life than windoze.

possibility 1
Your battery isn't new and batteries over time will not fully charge and loose their charge. Not all systems catch this. I had an old PIII that when windoze 98 was on it, the OS said the battery was full, but in linux it only showed a 5% charge. Linux was correct. This battery was soo old in fact that it barely held a charge.

possibility 2
Linux or the KDE battery app (KDE has doesn't have perfect power managment, sometimes says my battery is empty but it is full then tries to put lappy in hibernation. Has gotten better since KDE 4.4.1) is incorrectly reading your battery's state.

Believe it or not, the OS doesn't control how or when the battery is or gets charged. So Ur OK ;) and good to go.
Fixes like these are just a patch away. I'm not sure who you'd report this bug to, because it could be a kernel bug,
or a KDE bug, or gnome bug, etc. But I'm positive, your battery isn't charged any less than would be on Windoze.
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby haxmeister » Thu Mar 11, 2010 18:18

excessive processor usage can cause a shortened battery life.. I recommend also that you monitor your cpu usage as well as hard drive usage to see that these are functioning normally. This would be directly affected by the OS itself and could be the result of a driver issue of some sort.
haxmeister
Baby Hen

Postby juuce79 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 20:44

The strange thing is, like i mentioned earlier, i have two laptops. My primary laptop is the big siemens which i have had since new for almost two years i think, and the battery on this laptop is really bad. I used to run windows 7 on this laptop and i would always have a notification telling me that my battery couldn't hold a full charge and that it could shut down unexpectedly... however, on sabayon i get nothing, just a full 100% charge without warnings... ok the charge doesn't last for more than 30 minutes, but it still charges to 100% without problems. Now for the acer... my netbook, the one with the problems. This laptop is only 5 months old and I've also had it since new. I've also used my netbook in a more fitting manner for a laptop, by using the battery and then recharging, whereas with the siemens, i always used to have it plugged in to the power outlet (hence the bad battery now). So this is the reason I'm really stumped, because the battery on my acer netbook shouldn't have any problems because it is only 5 months old. And also, because i used windows 7 before, i know that it warns me when the battery has problems, and on the acer netbook, i was never given a warning, like on my siemens, so maybe it is a bug like darksurf said. One thing i did notice is that when the battery has been on 80% for a while, even though the charging light is still on, and it says that it is charging in kde, neither the battery nor the power brick are hot, which kind of sways me towards a bug, or a driver issue maybe like haxmeister mentioned... how can i check that my cpu and hard drive are functioning normally?
juuce79
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:31

yeah, that sounds like a KDE bug with power management. My battery widget in KDE still tells me every once in a while that my battery is dead and its actually fully charged. But just in case, open a teriminal and type in "top" and watch it a little while your netbook is in use and see if you can see random times when your cpu unreasonably or unexpectedly reaches high usage. I've known X cpu usage to jump if graphics drivers have bugs (very possible since intel drivers are still in development and are buggy), I've also seen atheros ath5k and ath9k drivers to have phy0 usage up to 80% or higher.

anything still in development could be a culprit.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby juuce79 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 18:29

thnx a lot for the advice =) although the 80% ting is a little annoying, im now not so worried =) any idea about my other problem, the splash daemon thing... error 256, at startup it actually tells me that my code (317) doesn't exist or isn't valid or something, and then gives me the option to carry on without the splash by hitting space or to choose another resolution from a list by hitting enter.... if i hit enter, i get a list of different resolutions and codes, and if i type the code 315 everything works perfectly.... so, my qustion about this is, where could i change this code from my current one, 317, to the one that works, 315?
juuce79
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 18:45

Lol, thats a bug from the intel drivers. I've noticed a similar issue to this when trying to boot a live disc on a computer using an intel gfx card. That won't hurt anything. Its just one of those annoying silly bugs.

your welcome to try using the development drivers -9999. They aren't supported, but neither are the OS ati drivers -9999 that I'm using and they work perfectly for the R600 series. ;)

If you think your linux savvy enough and can follow instructions, I have added a howto on the sabayon wiki to install the opensource ati driver. You can basically take the how to and change xf86-video-ati to xf86-video-intel and do the same thing.

you won't need the ATI firmware files, but you will need to change
"# CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS is not set" to "CONFIG_DRM_I915_KMS=y"

and you most likely won't need to edit the xorg.conf

to revert back just equo install xf86-video-intel, and that will take you back to your old intel drivers and ur good to go. ;)

http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Install_latest_%28git%29_Open_Source_ATI_drivers
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby juuce79 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 19:49

thanks a lot for all the help =)
juuce79
Baby Hen

Postby Darksurf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 21:02

If you wanna try something easier and not update the drivers you can try editing grub.conf

Just as a warning, don't edit anything you don't understand or you won't be able to boot into your linux system.
you should see a spot that says vga=791 on the line that is "kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-blah blah blah"

If not, ur still OK. Just add vga=0x315 or vga=315, I'm not sure which is used anymore.

and see if that works.
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

Postby juuce79 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 16:38

i tried that, and after a little trial and error... it ended up being vga=789... it worked =) thanks a lot =)

i do have another little bug, but this time on my big laptop, the fujitsu-siemens amilo xi2528... whenever i start the computer, i have to move my finger around on the tackpad in order for the operating system to load, if i don't do that the operating system will load really slowly until it gets to where the screen normally flashes with the nvidia logo, but instead of flashing this logo it will just go blank, and then wont load anymore... any ideas? if i move my finger then everything loads fine, so ts not a huge problem, again just an annoyance.
juuce79
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area