Filesystem read-only after equo upgrade [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Filesystem read-only after equo upgrade [Solved]

Postby ReemZ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38

Hi there, back with a new problem :mrgreen:

I'm currently logged into my good old SL4 installation as I'm completely unable to get SL5 to work atm.
Here's what happened:
I had a few apps running (the standard things: FF, Kopete, Amarok) and I was running 'equo upgrade' in Yakuake.
During the installation part of the process Plasma failed on me, tried whatever I could after waiting for the upgrade to finish to get it back to life, but no joy.
Amarok still played my music, I could still browse in FF, I could *not* alt-tab to any other app, had to kill FF to get to the chat window where my girlfriend was waiting for me to respond :mrgreen: which I fortunately still could :lol:
The media buttons on my keyboard still worked, so I could still start/pause/skip/stop music, but as all panels/taskbars/system trays/whatever were gone, that was about it...
Ctrl-Alt-F2'd into a terminal, su'd, /etc/init.d/xdm restart'ed, no joy: it did kill KDE, it did not bring it back to life.
Rebooted, only to find myself in a read-only filesystem with my hostname missing and obviously unable to change it.
It did let me log in both as user and as root with both passwords still working, but the only good that did me was enabling me to backup a few (not even that important) files and reboot, again.
Ready to do a fresh install, but perhaps someone here has a better idea?
And if anyone has any tips on how to prevent this in the future, I'd love to hear them.
(I'm thinking, maybe kill all graphics befóre 'equo upgrade'ing? Just a wild guess, only thing I can think of really...)

Should anyone need the exact messages I saw before rebooting, I'll be happy to boot into SL5 and write them down as I've nó clue as to if such a thing would be logged and if so, where :oops:

Oh before I forget...I did try 'mount' just to take a look, normally /dev/sda1 would be mounted to /boot, it wasn't mounted at all, /dev/sda3 was mounted to / though, as it should be...and even funnier, it showed /dev/sdc1 (WD external hd) as mounted, but it wasn't, could mount it and access it though...

I'm slowly getting more and more confused here :mrgreen:
Last edited by ReemZ on Sun Mar 14, 2010 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Re: Filesystem read-only after equo upgrade

Postby nicopanz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:50

He ReemZ,
I had the same problem some days ago. After a full re-installation I found what the problem was.
In my case I had added a line in the /etc/fstab file referring to a NTFS partition.

I deleted that line and everything is now ok.

Good luck
Nicola
nicopanz
Baby Hen

Postby ReemZ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 15:58

Thank you Nicopanz for your reply, and welcome to the SL forum :D
I've chrooted into that installation and checked:
Code: Select all
Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe / # cat /etc/fstab
/dev/sda3               /                       ext3    user_xattr,noatime 1 1
/dev/sda1               /boot                   ext3    user_xattr,noatime 1 2
/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/sdb2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/sda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

No NTFS there...any other ideas?
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby smb96 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 17:53

hi,

is there a reason for you to have 2x swap? If not choose one.
Did you check the Entropy version (equo --version) before the update? it should be > 0.9.37.x by now. You should be able to check that in a chroot.
smb96
Simple Hen

Postby ReemZ » Wed Mar 10, 2010 18:45

smb96 wrote:hi,

is there a reason for you to have 2x swap? If not choose one.
Did you check the Entropy version (equo --version) before the update? it should be > 0.9.37.x by now. You should be able to check that in a chroot.

Yes there is, I've got SL4 on one disk and SL5 on the other, both in the form of: sdx1 = /boot (100MB fixed), sdx2 = swap (1GB fixed), sdx3 = / (rest-of-disk). I once set the one disk up like that installing SL4, when installing SL5 on the other disk I thought I should partition it exactly the same way, was that wrong?
As to why bóth swap partitions show up in fstab, no clue...
And yes, Entropy is up2date.
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Postby smb96 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 18:52

one swap partition is good for both SLs. Two is only waste of space. Comment one swap, maybe it gets confused by two. But still strange.
smb96
Simple Hen

Postby ReemZ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 15:11

Commented one swap, that didn't help, ran fsck manually like it told me to, nó idea what I was doing so just answered 'yes' to every question it asked me, but I am now typing this from a working SL5 install! :D
One thing that puzzles me though: wicd popping up asking for the root password?
As I am obviously connected to the internet I'll just hit cancel on that one...

Now I dó see something véry disturbing though: notification applet looks like the winblows update thingy!?! :shock:
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area