mplayer video sabayon linux-core x11 or frambuffer etc?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

mplayer video sabayon linux-core x11 or frambuffer etc?

Postby linuxnovo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 13:34

I have installed linux-core 4.1 on my panasonic toughbook with the attempt to make a minimalist, no gui installation. This laptop has a 300 mhz processor, only 128mb of ram, and 4.5 gigs of hard drive. This is a very minimal system. I have been able to get the wireless to work with lynx which takes care of my internet access fine. The Linux core managed to get my belkin wireless card to work well via ndiswrapper I would think. I have been using entropy to download software exclusively and have found it fine. I am able to access my usb sticks and move things around via my single usb port. I can play a cd via dcd apt. I installed mplayer and mplayer plays mp3 very well. There is no DVD drive only a CD-ROM so movies are out. Now, the only thing I need to get running is playing a video downloaded from the net, such as from the WayBack machine. Old movies and tv shows are what I download in mp4 format or whatever is smallest.
Now, here is the problem. Just trying to play the downloaded files with mplayer xxxx.mp4 produces only the audio. Thereis no video. Mplayer is looking for an X11 display which is a gui and there is only cli. I have tried to play the video with -vo fbdev and -vo fbdev2 with no effect. This generates video output error! From an examination of the Google output, it seems that I have two choices: install X11 which is a gui, against my principles or enable the framebuffer, which seems to be quite a task. I did get some output from using the -vo aa option for mplayer. The output was just a series of text across the screen.
Thoughts: perhaps, I should cry chicken and drop back: remove mplayer to save disk space and just load in a cli mp3 apt and just commit myself to text and speech. Got any advice. But I want to push this laptop as far as it can go.
On the other hand, the x11 package is rather small and why not try for the video that way? mplayer, in its simple default
mode looks for x11 so why not give it a minimalist gui? A word either way would be most helpful.
linuxnovo
Baby Hen

Re: mplayer video sabayon linux-core x11 or frambuffer etc?

Postby micia » Thu Feb 25, 2010 20:47

I'd try to push that laptop to its limits and install a GUI, there are plenty of GUIs that are not so bad and are very cheap,
to name a few:

lxde
jwm
twm
blackbox
openbox

and so on.
I tried LXDE and it is pretty good and cheap, JWM too.

You could also install this mix:
-openbox
-pcmanfm
-slim

(slim is a login manager which does not depend over many libs)
if that laptop starts to whine for the low memory, you can remove it whenever you want :mrgreen:
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: mplayer video sabayon linux-core x11 or frambuffer etc?

Postby linuxnovo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 22:46

Thanks for the comment. Have pretty much decided to install X11 gui since mplayer looks for it as default. Thanks for
your reply. I know I am swimming against the tide but I want to stick with cli as much as I can. After all that is where
Linux started and it's father Unix was designed in an era when command line was cutting edge software. Thanks again.
linuxnovo
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area