problems shutting down entirely

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

problems shutting down entirely

Postby DeclinedDoomed » Thu Feb 18, 2010 23:29

Hello, I'm new to Sabayon, and familiar with Linux in general. I'm no expert, but I can find my way around the terminal, provided I have good instructions. :) I have Sabayon 5 up and running well on my computer, but there's a little problem I'd like to try and fix.

Sabayon 5 doesn't shut down entirely. It reaches 100% shut down completion, the lights on my keyboard flash, then the system hangs and displays garbage on the screen. That's my signal that I can safely turn it off with the power button.

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks for the help. :)
DeclinedDoomed
Baby Hen

Re: problems shutting down entirely

Postby throdon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 23:42

Did you use any cheat codes for 'acip' or 'apic' ?

I always had this problem on my desktop and I believe this is what caused this problem for me. I never really tried to fix it b/c it was not a major problem.

this problem was only on my desktop as the only way I could get the live DVD to boot was to use the cheat codes.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby DeclinedDoomed » Thu Feb 18, 2010 23:47

I didn't use any cheat codes, since I didn't have any problems getting the live DVD to boot (although I had to burn another copy- I burned the first one too fast and it wouldn't boot).

It's really not a big problem, more of a minor annoyance.
DeclinedDoomed
Baby Hen

Postby svantoviit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 13:04

Encounter the same problem, shutdown process just freeze at 100% and the only way to shut down my laptop is to remove the battery. It does not happen every time, so I am not able to reproduce it.

When I checked rc.log the only difference I could find in the shutdown logs was this line
Code: Select all
* start-stop-daemon: no matching processes found
 [ ok ]
which appeared only in the log, when shutdown froze, but not in the log of a proper shutdown. Don't know if it's even of importance in this case. :?

Have you any ideas what to do, or where to look for the cause?
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 13:33

Have you seen the following post?: 5.1 (5.2?) Doesn't shut down cleanly [Solved]. Are you sure you have the latest version of the kernel installed?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby svantoviit » Thu May 06, 2010 21:18

Hard to say if the problem was solved, as we couldn't find the cause, in addition that it wasn't a regular behavior. But since upgrading the kernel to 2.6.33, for now the system is shutting down clearly. So I assume and hope it was solved.
And how about you DeclinedDoomed?
svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area