Very new guy here...

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Very new guy here...

Postby temiller » Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:09

First post, figure i'll introduce myself first, Names Tim, I'm 22 (sadly almost 23), Junior in college studying Marketing and Professional/Technical Writing. I do marketing and promotions for my university's athletics, and a full time student.

Now to business. I've seen a lot about Sabayon, and I'm completely impressed with it. I was running Windows 7 on my laptop before the laptop decided it doesn't want to turn on anymore. My desktop (as far as I know) doesn't have the hardware to run windows 7, so I'm looking for a replacement. I was going to bite the bullet and drop the cash for it, but rent and bills get in the way. Windows XP is starting to get old with me. I bought the computer off my little brother he built it a few years ago, and said that the computer would be capable of running Sabayon. I asked him what drivers I would need, and he told me I would just need the one for the Mother board - ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA motherboard, and one for the Video Card - Nvidia 8600gt.

I have a few programs that I use constantly though, that I would like to know if there is a compatible version, or if linux has a version. I write a lot of papers, So I need to be able to Word, Excel, and Publisher. I heard theres a Opentable (I think thats what its called) version out there to replace it though. I use iTunes regularly, but Slacker seems to be my new love. I also use DVDshrink, Daemon tools, and Nero 7 for my DVD Backups. I switch between Firefox and Chrome, so if one of them at least can run it then that would be great. And the blackberry software preferably, but I could always use my roommates computers for backup and restores. So, Office or a replacement, some sort of compatible Music player, DVDshrink, Daemon tools, and Nero 7.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm assuming installing Sabayon would be similar to installing any other OS, so that won't be tough for me, but is there anything I should know first, or read up on? Any tips you can offer?

Edit- I found the drivers for the Video card, but I'm having trouble locating ones for the Motherboard. Any help?
Baby Hen

Re: Very new guy here...

Postby throdon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 22:56

I would suggest downloading the most current ISO and run it live. I do not believe you need a driver for your motherboard, I never needed one for any of mine.

I believe Nvidia drivers are active on the live DVD and they get installed when you install to hard drive. check this thread out.

and for the current ISO try the main homepage of Sabayon or do a google search for Sabayon 5.1. you will need to understand 5.1K is KDE based and 5.1G is GNOME based. Stay away from 5.1 core until you are more experienced.

you should also find out if you have a 64 bit processor as there are also ISOs for this architecture as well.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 0:03

The open-source alternative to Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) is OpenOffice (Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw and Base). It's available under Linux as well as Windows. If you have the DVDs for your Microsoft Office applications then you can install them under Linux using several methods, but the most commonly used is something called WINE. I have Word, Excel and Visio running under SL (Sabayon Linux) using WINE, as well as using OpenOffice natively under Linux.

Linux has a shed load of multimedia applications. For DVD ripping a few of the many free open-source applications are K9Copy, dvd::rip and Winki. Actually you can run DVDShrink under WINE too, but I wouldn't bother when there are native Linux applications that are just as good. The closed-source Nero is available natively for Linux at a reasonable price, but why bother when you can use free, open-source alternatives such as K3b, Brasero, GnomeBaker, etc. There are also umpteen music players in Linux: Amarok, Audacious, JuK, SMPlayer, VLC, Banshee, and plenty of others. Several of these are iTunes-compatible. Linux also has some good video players (SMPlayer, VLC, Totem, Kaffeine, XBMC, MPlayer, Xine and many others). The Linux equivalent of Publisher is called Scribus. There are also Linux equivalents to Windows applications for bitmap image editing, vector graphics, CAD, music creation and just about anything else you want to do.

If you google using keywords such as "linux equivalent software" or "linux equivalents windows" or whatever you'll find several Web sites listing Linux applications that are equivalent to Windows applications.
Sagely Hen

Postby SpuriousBolognas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01

If you do any graphics design, you will love The GIMP. It is an open source alternative to Photo Shop, with tons of great plugins. Also, I find the presentation software in OpenOffice far superior to Power Point. Both of these applications are included in the Sabayon DVD.
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area