Newest kernel - 32 - locks up my computer [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Newest kernel - 32 - locks up my computer [Solved]

Postby Andyn » Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:05

Just an observation really - after a lot of hassle trying to upgrade which included completely breaking my system I've worked out that it is the newest kernel that is the cause of my problems. Everything works fine and looks pretty with with the previous - 31 - kernel. The newer kernel - 32 - brings me to a blank screen after log-in from which I can do nothing.

I might be interested in knowing what could be done about this, but I've wasted hours already getting back to a working system - Linux - it's great when it works!
Andyn
Baby Hen

Re: Newest kernel - 32 - locks up my computer

Postby lxnay » Thu Feb 18, 2010 21:26

Are you using NVIDIA drivers?
Because of course, when you switch kernel, you need to install the appropriate NVIDIA driver too... (same for ATI/AMD)
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby wolfden » Fri Feb 19, 2010 18:42

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Andyn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:30

Yes - thanks for that you are quite right.

Is there a reason why when you use either equo or sulfur to do an upgrade which includes the kernel they do not automatically include these drivers? Or come to that why there is no reminder about this?
Andyn
Baby Hen

Postby _cnfss_ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 13:18

Maybe it's because it's not necessary for everybody, there is no formal dependency between NVIDIA drivers and the linux Kernel...

I mean, my card is Intel, some people has ATI... But there is no reason why I should download a package that I don't need. You know, keep the system clean, or not enough space in the disk (not many resources...), bad internet conection, in a crush with FLOSS :P ... I don't know :)

The idea is, if you don't need it, nobody can force you to download it ;)
But if you need it, it's right there for you.

PS: About the remainder... I think that could be good, but again, I take care of my own system, I don't like pop ups with reminders of things that doesn't has any use for me :) Do you need pop ups about intel graphics or ATI cards?
Think about it, the problem came here with graphics cards, but what about sound cards, or different HWs all around, you want remiders of every single thing that needs to be checked after the upgd making no differece if you've got it installed or not? That would be kind of ugly :mrgreen:
So, If I've got an Intel, I've got to think about it every time I make an upgd, just like you have to worry about what are the things about your system that you have to take care. Nobody will do that for you...

This way, Entropy, keep it sefl clear and "general". Not driven by any HW. And you learn what's inside the magic box called case/box/tower... :)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
"Sólo dos cosas son infinitas, el universo y la estupidez humana, y no estoy seguro acerca de la primera."
- Albert Einstein
_cnfss_
Growing Hen

Postby Andyn » Sat Feb 20, 2010 15:28

But sulfur and equo automatically update the packages you have on your computer don't they? They check to see what you are running and update those packages. This seems to be the way they work with everything else so why not the graphics drivers?

Sulfur does pop up a window advising on some things, such as installing knetworkmanager to cope with a problem with the network plasma and advice to upgrade entropy etc. Why not a reminder about drivers even if these cannot, for some reason that isn't clear to me, be automatically updated along with all other packages?

Doesn't this sort of thing need to be resolved if Sabayon, or any other distro, is to be really user friendly and "just work"?
Andyn
Baby Hen

Postby genfool » Sat Feb 20, 2010 16:54

To many options. I have 1 older computer with nvidia and would use the 96xx drivers. I bought a little newer card and now use the 173 drivers.
With every update, sabayon will update the nvidia drivers, unless I mask them.
On a newer computer I use the latest nvidia drivers and is fine. I only mess with the drivers, with a kernel update.
We do not get a new kernel everyday, simple process to install correct driver before rebooting.
Last time I was on a windows machine and installed xp, I had to install wireless to search and install the network, video, sound and other drivers.
Finally gave up on sound and installed a pci sound card. I used a live linux cd and lspci to help with the search, and everything worked out of the box including sound with the live cd.
How much easier do you want it?
genfool
Technological Hen

Postby _cnfss_ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 20:59

Andyn wrote:But sulfur and equo automatically update the packages you have on your computer don't they? They check to see what you are running and update those packages. This seems to be the way they work with everything else so why not the graphics drivers?

Sulfur does pop up a window advising on some things, such as installing knetworkmanager to cope with a problem with the network plasma and advice to upgrade entropy etc. Why not a reminder about drivers even if these cannot, for some reason that isn't clear to me, be automatically updated along with all other packages?

Doesn't this sort of thing need to be resolved if Sabayon, or any other distro, is to be really user friendly and "just work"?

About your last question... I think genfool already answer that. I remember spending a lot of time searching and installing drivers in XP (and every time a new driver comes out NOBODY ADVICE YOU NOTHING... :S )

About the first question, an application, is not the same that a driver, if for some reason sulfur updates one app that you use, but you don't like the new version, making a roll back is not that hard, but, what if sulfur updates some drivers and the next time you boot your system your graphic card gets f*cked up? Drivers are really close to hardware, then they can't be seen as simple programs, they must be taken seriously...
Maybe Lxnay, or anybody around here, will pay you if this drivers updates turn your card into ashes? Nah, you use SL at your own risk, (any linux at your own risk) because it's free! You want support in HW, buy it to Red Hat :-) But everybody here never request from you a single cent and instead, they do what they can: not to make any touch in your system that could make it crash.

About the pop ups, Knetworkmanager and entropy are CRUCIAL Software, there are not abiword or wormux, so an advice in that case it's intesting for most of us, isn't it?
And again, applications like Knet and Entropy, aren't the same as Drivers, entropy will never make your hard disk to melt inside your tower, a bad driver... mmm Nah! :P But it could makes it completely useless...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
"Sólo dos cosas son infinitas, el universo y la estupidez humana, y no estoy seguro acerca de la primera."
- Albert Einstein
_cnfss_
Growing Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area