Gimme a name of a wireless card.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Gimme a name of a wireless card.

Postby acturisme » Sun Feb 14, 2010 21:33

I just want someone here who has had his or her wireless card work out of the box to gimme the make and model number of their adapter. I do not care if it is USB or PCI or PCIe interface. As long as the card worked after Sabayon was installed I'll get one.
acturisme
Baby Hen

Re: Gimme a name.

Postby DHalens » Sun Feb 14, 2010 21:45

Sometimes issue is not the wireless card but software used to connect...
Anyway, here's mine which has worked since few sabayon versions ago: intel 3945
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby acturisme » Sun Feb 14, 2010 23:13

Thanks that helps. I just want native compatable hardware without having to use windows driver wrappers. Still anyone else have some solutions? I'd like some choices. Where's that avatar from?
acturisme
Baby Hen

Postby lazevedo » Sun Feb 14, 2010 23:36

Well, mine has worked out of the box too: it's a broadcom card on an acer 3000 notebook. Dunno if it uses a wrapper, though.
lazevedo
Simple Hen

Postby micia » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03

Mine works out of the box too, I had some problems with it at the beginning (about 2 years ago) but now it works with about any Linux, with Sabayon is working out of the box:

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Gimme a name of a wireless card.

Postby genfool » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07

I have a couple of lnksys pci cards, they have worked well out of the box. Although the cards are identical in appearance, 1 uses a broadcom chipset while the other uses a railink chipset. Just ponting out that manufacturers buy chipsets in bulk and use them til gone, replace with whatever is on sale the next time. If I gave you the model #, no guarantee it will be the same.
Another wireless device that works well for me is, belkin usb. has a 8' cable and a base, you can pull the usb device out of the base and plug it straight into the computer, your choice. It has a cheap price and works for me.
genfool
Technological Hen

Re: Gimme a name of a wireless card.

Postby bloodyscript » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:20

from what i understand th emajority or prism chipsets and atheros chipsets are supported in linux with out issues. and my friend has a SMC SMC2532W-B EliteConnect which worked with out anytroubles as for working right out of the box i am not sure he said he didnt have any trouble getting it to work.
bloodyscript
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area