Gnome Do. What does it do? [SOLVED]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Gnome Do. What does it do? [SOLVED]

Postby SpuriousBolognas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:19

When I start up my desktop (SL 5.1 w/ Gnome) I get a box in the center of the screen that says click to type. If I click in there, I see it is a nice little launcher. I looked at the properties and I see it is called Gnome Do. I went to the project home page where it describes it as a quick launcher with a bunch of plugins. It all sounds well enough but I don't think it is working correctly. If I click on it immediately at startup, I can use it to launch a program. If I click on anything else, it goes away completely. I thought it might be a property setting, but when I tried to select preferences, the application appeared to close. I also noticed that the version is 0.9 something. Long story short, is it me or is it the application? Does it get minimized somewhere I didn't notice? I don't see a gnome do process running in the system monitor.
Last edited by SpuriousBolognas on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:10, edited 1 time in total.
SpuriousBolognas
Baby Hen

Re: Gnome Do. What does it do?

Postby ExpatPaul » Fri Feb 12, 2010 22:34

I've seen a bit of hype about this and there is more information at do.davebsd.com but I still don't really see the point of it. It might be handy if you have no idea where an application or file is located, but the Gnome menu is pretty intuitive as it is, so...

I switched it off (unchecked the 'start at login' preference) soon after installing Sabayon and haven't looked at it since.
ExpatPaul
Simple Hen

Re: Gnome Do. What does it do?

Postby SpuriousBolognas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:17

I found you can bring it up by holding the windows key then typing space. It also has a docky mode that makes it function similar to wbar. There are also no plugins installed by default, but they are available in Sulfur.
SpuriousBolognas
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area