Encrypted volume in Five Oh! KDE

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Encrypted volume in Five Oh! KDE

Postby Interneci » Tue Feb 09, 2010 22:28

Hi!

I just installed Sabayon in parallel to my current Debian SID installation. It boots fine, but unfortunately I'm unable to mount my LUKS-encrypted data partition which also carries my home directory.

All I get using cryptsetup is the message that no key could be found with the password I gave. (Sorry, I'm in SID right now, so I do not have the exact error message available.)

cryptsetup luksDump complains that the used has is unknown, however I'm not aware of using any special hashes or ciphers:

# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/mapper/default_ng2-cryptstore
LUKS header information for /dev/mapper/default_ng2-cryptstore

Version: 1
Cipher name: aes
Cipher mode: cbc-essiv:sha256
Hash spec: sha256
Payload offset: 2056
MK bits: 256

Is there anything special which has to be done on Sabayon to be able to use LUKS / cryptsetup?

Thanks for any hints or pointer to FAQs - I'm absolutely willing to RTFM if I know where - ,

Gunter
Interneci
Baby Hen

Re: Encrypted volume in Five Oh! KDE

Postby xlnagla » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:07

this FM should apply:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
we don't seem to have any Sabayon-specific information on LUKS; however we maintain full and complete compatibility with gentoo, so any and all guidelines issued here will work in Sabayon.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Interneci » Tue Mar 02, 2010 21:20

Ok, I found the cause of my problem:

Sabayon ships cryptsetup 1.0.6 which simply does not support sha256 with LUKS - it has sha1 as the only supported, hardcoded hash algorithm.

To be able to choose the LUKS hash is a feature introduced by cryptsetup 1.1.0rc.

Now I just need to find out how to be able to upgrade cryptsetup in Sabayon, "equo search" just finds the installed 1.0.6...
Interneci
Baby Hen

Postby xlnagla » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:31

added 14 Feburary to the gentoo mainline repository. To get 1.10,

type, as root
emerge --sync && emerge cryptsetup

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area