Installing Sabayon in pen drive?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Installing Sabayon in pen drive?

Postby 27ujjwal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:50

DOES ANY BODY KNOW HOW TO INSTALL A LINUX IN PENDRIVE AND KEEP IT SAFE....AND USE THE LINUX OS ANY WHERE...AGAIN I M SAYING ITS NOT MAKING PEN DRIVE BOOTABLE I WANNA INSTALL LINUX INTO PEN DRIVE IF ANY BODY KNOWS PLEASE POST ME.. :roll:

Moderator Edit: Changed original Subject to lower case. Please do not post in upper case: it is reserved for SHOUTING, and according to Netiquette it's considered inappropriate for normal 'conversation'.
27ujjwal
Baby Hen

Re: INSTALLING SABAYON IN PEN DRIVE?

Postby throdon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14

Slow down for a second and turn off your caps lock. allright, now that that happened, using all capitals in a post is basically yelling at the forum. NOBODY will help a yeller. now if you can calm down a little and switch to decaf try to search about 'unetbootin'. this is probably the most recomended way to use a "pendrive" to boot a linux distro. I have used multiple distros with unetbootin so it works for me,(Elive, Pentoo, Sabayon.).

Also this is highly recomended, search the forums, there is a sticky post in the beginers forum that is titled "new users resources" start there and read those links that are contained in it and also check out the wiki.
Troll hunter with an overzealous nature
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby 27ujjwal » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:40

tanku for ur suggestion...i know unetbootin and i have used for booting several linux distros...thats not my question i wanna install sabayon into the pen drive...i think u should read my post again...
27ujjwal
Baby Hen

Postby throdon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:01

excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between a "USB drive" and a "Pendrive"? In my head they are exactly the same thing. If they are not then I got some hardware to investigate. If you are talking about the "Pendrive" site then I can't help you, but to my understanding the end result is the same as with unetbootin. Also as for installing linux on a usb drive/pendrive. This is what 'unetbootin' does it installs linux on a stick and you can use it on multiple computers. you can also set it up so that you can make persistant changes to it if you know what you are doing.

If what you are asking is how can I use this "pendrive" to boot multiple computers one at a time then you need to use a distro that runs fully in RAM(puppy is one of these).

Last thing is I think we are misunderstanding each other on "boot/install". you can use 'unetbootin' to "boot" an "installed" distro on a USB stick/Pendrive. And this "Distro" is there till you overwrite it, so it is "Installed" as per your requirment.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Re: Installing Sabayon in pen drive?

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:49

throdon,

perhaps he means he wants to install Linux on a pen drive with full persistence, which UNetbootin does not provide. LiLi USB Creator for Windows (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/) is an alternative to UNetbootin that does much the same thing, although it can also create USB pen drive Linux installations with persistence (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/faq-pers ... ot-do.html). Perhaps that would satisfy him.

But I think he means: Use a large-capacity USB pen drive (e.g. 32 Gb or more), treat it as a (removable) HDD and install Linux on it with full persistence (including kernel). I've never seen that done or tried it myself. However, given that one can perform a full Linux installation on an external HDD with USB cable, I wonder if it would be possible to use a large-capacity pen drive to do the same thing. If I were to try such a thing with SL specifically I'd want to have a USB pen drive with at least 64 Gb capacity, otherwise it would not be worthwhile, and those are still expensive. A 16 Gb pen drive could be tried for a smaller distribution such as Puppy or PCLinuxOS, though (for example I have PCLinuxOS installed on an old laptop with a 10 Gb HDD and it works quite well).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby throdon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 18:31

Fitz: Sorry if i was mistaken. I think I might of been mixing up 'unetbootin' with the 'puppy installer' which has persistance. I think I read somewhere that you can use 'Gparted'(or simular) to add persistance to 'unetbootin' by adding a partition and using the free space on the drive, as I only have a 4 GB I never tried it, and only used it to install or run live.
throdon
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Feb 06, 2010 18:32

Our wiki is a good spot to always look first
http://wiki.sabayon.org/index.php?title ... ersistance
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby PennyRoyal » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:45

I have a PNY 8GB flash drive on my key ring. I have Sabayon 5.0 on it (unetbootin) and use it as a "Live" disk. This is very handy (and impressive) when I use it to repair or rescue files for my Windows friends. As I said... I use it in place of a live disk.

Now for the sake of argument:

If I were to "Install" Sabayon on the flash drive... wouldn't it detect and install itself based on the hardware in the machine at hand? Seems to me it would work in that box... BUT as soon as you tried to use it in another computer with different hardware it might not have the necessary driver support that the live disk has. Isn't the whole point of a live disk to detect nearly every piece of hardware known to man so it can be tried out on any machine..? Doesn't the installer weed out the fluff you don't need in order to keep the installation as small as possible..?
PR
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI
240 Neutron GTX SSD
3x2TB SATA
CM HAF 932 w/Corsair 850w
Upstar M280A1 4k 28"

"Teamwork: A lot of people doing what I say!"
PennyRoyal
Simple Hen

Postby 27ujjwal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 14:55

well thank you every body but i can' get any answers helping...i tried to install fedora by using guided partitioning the whole usb drive after successful installation i had grub error 21...so i need to reinstall my grub using some linux live cd...i m trying things with several distros...hope i can find some solution :wink:
27ujjwal
Baby Hen

Postby PennyRoyal » Tue Feb 09, 2010 19:47

It looks to me like you are trying to make your pen drive a mobile computer. Just plug it in to any computer and you have your OS and your file system and files and programs installed and...? If you get that to work...

well I just don't see how it can...

PR
Sabayon 14 KDE64
i7 4770K @ 3.5
MSI Z87-GD65 w/CM V8 HSF
16GB Vengeance DDR3 w/GMCEC0 HSF
EVGA GTX670 x2 SLI
240 Neutron GTX SSD
3x2TB SATA
CM HAF 932 w/Corsair 850w
Upstar M280A1 4k 28"

"Teamwork: A lot of people doing what I say!"