Problems logging in/starting kde [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Problems logging in/starting kde [Solved]

Postby Keinlicht07 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:46

Last night i did an update through sulfur. After letting the it run for a while, i came back to see if it had finished. It had, so i tried starting firefox. that didn't come up, an i dismissed it as a bug. i tried again and it failed exactly as before (it shows up in the taskbar but not onscreen). i then realized that i couldn't start anything. I booted into windows (as i had some stuff to do).

today though, when i tried to login, i found that i can only get about halfway through the splash screen on startup before it kicks me back out to the login screen. i tried failsafe mode (which worked) and typed "startkde". bash returned a big long error message basically saying that kde couldn't locate a library (or something) and was forced to close. This has me really worried, and the only thing i can think of is reinstalling it. Does anybody know if there's any help for me?

On a side note: i noticed the other day (before all of this crazy crap) that the system monitor widget is reporting that my ram usage is almost at 100%. I ran top, but it indicated that no program was using more than 3%. I have 4 gigs of ram. what on earth could be eating so much memory? It's not really vital, but i'm curious as to what's causing the widget to report such a massive difference in apparent RAM usage, and of which one is actually correct.
Keinlicht07
Baby Hen

Re: Problems logging in/starting kde

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:35

Without log files or error reports, makes it hard to diagnose.

any idea what library file it couldn't find?
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Keinlicht07 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:43

wolfden wrote:Without log files or error reports, makes it hard to diagnose.

any idea what library file it couldn't find?

well i'm posting this through vista, so i don't have access to the error reports. but i do remember it saying something about not being able to find kserver or kmserver.
Keinlicht07
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:56

you can boot to a command line tho I assume, so I would do this:

equo update
equo install entropy equo sulfur
equo world
equo conf update

check your video card and make sure it is selected
eselect opengl list

if not, eselect opengl set # <<< replace the # with the number next to your vid card

reboot
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby catalyst » Tue Dec 08, 2009 23:10

Sounds like a consolekit issue, try this as root in a terminal.

Code: Select all
rc-update add consolekit default && /etc/init.d/consolekit start

cheers: catalyst64.
Desktop HP Pavilion a1040a
Intel P4: 515J processor: 2.93 Ghz: 1.5 Gb ram
2 x sata HDD
ATI Radeon X300 SE PCI-Ex
Sabayon-9 Gnome x86
Laptop HP Pavillion dv6-7031tx Netbook
Intel core i7 3610 2.3 Ghz
Nvidia GeForce GT 630m
Sabayon-9 Kde
catalyst
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue Dec 08, 2009 23:27

Keinlicht07 wrote:On a side note: i noticed the other day (before all of this crazy crap) that the system monitor widget is reporting that my ram usage is almost at 100%. I ran top, but it indicated that no program was using more than 3%. I have 4 gigs of ram. what on earth could be eating so much memory? It's not really vital, but i'm curious as to what's causing the widget to report such a massive difference in apparent RAM usage, and of which one is actually correct.

Try installing htop (it's nicer than top), as it displays a dynamic bar of memory and CPU use in a Konsole/Terminal window if you enter the htop command on the command line. Had your PC been on for several days, by any chance? Have a look at the thread Curious thing with memory and swap [Solved].
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Keinlicht07 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:05

wolfden wrote:you can boot to a command line tho I assume, so I would do this:

equo update
equo install entropy equo sulfur
equo world
equo conf update

check your video card and make sure it is selected
eselect opengl list

if not, eselect opengl set # <<< replace the # with the number next to your vid card

reboot

This worked, and i'm happy to report that i'm now posting through konquerer. Thanks, all!
Keinlicht07
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area