Setting GRUB to automatically boot Vista? [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Setting GRUB to automatically boot Vista? [Solved]

Postby Keinlicht07 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 20:37

I'm a total noob here and this is my first linux install. I have both sabayon 5.0 and vista on my system, and i can't seem to get GRUB to select, by default, vista.

I've tried editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, but to no avail. any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Keinlicht07 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Keinlicht07
Baby Hen

Re: Setting GRUB to automatically boot Vista?

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 06, 2009 21:06

Keinlicht07 wrote:I'm a total noob here and this is my first linux install. I have both sabayon 5.0 and vista on my system, and i can't seem to get GRUB to select, by default, vista.

I've tried editing the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, but to no avail. any help would be much appreciated.

You would need to provide your /boot/grub/menu.lst (a symbolic link to /boot/grub/grub.conf) with the modifications you made in order to make Windows boot by default (by the way, when modifying /boot/grub/menu.lst or any other vital configuration file it is wise to save the original file as a backup -- I add .bkp to the original name).

Generally, to change the boot default you can change in /boot/grub/menu.lst the line:

Code: Select all
default=0

to something like:

default=2

if the Windows entry appears third in the menu.lst file.

Each time your system updates the kernel it modifies the grub.conf file, so it may be necessary to re-edit grub.conf if Windows now becomes not third but, say, fourth boot option.

Another possibility is moving the Windows entry in front of Linux boot options. In that case you should not change the ''default=0" line. I just verified that this works too on my Sabayon+Vista dual boot laptop.

Just be careful when you cut-and-paste the Windows entry while editing grub.conf file in a text editor. To be on the safe ground, cut it with the white-space separating it from the nearest Linux kernel entry above it.
Last edited by Marius on Sun Dec 06, 2009 21:53, edited 3 times in total.
Marius
Simple Hen

Postby Fac3kk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 21:40

If you are a KDE user you could do following:
1) run system-settings
2) go to advanced tab and select grub editor
3) set default on desired os
4) apply

dunno how to do that in gnome.

If you want to do it from shell:
1) edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
2) add 'default n' at the beginning, where n is a number of desired entry (starting from 0)
3) then execute grub-install INSTALL_DEVICE, for example
grub-install /dev/sda
Fac3kk
Simple Hen

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 06, 2009 21:51

Fac3kk wrote:If you want to do it from shell:
1) edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
2) add 'default n' at the beginning, where n is a number of desired entry (starting from 0)
3) then execute grub-install INSTALL_DEVICE, for example
grub-install /dev/sda

''default=0'' line is already in grub.conf. No need to add it. Secondly,

Fac3kk wrote:3) then execute grub-install INSTALL_DEVICE, for example
grub-install /dev/sda

is unnecessary and, frankly, dangerous advice: if grub was installed to his Linux partition it will overwrite the original Master Boot Record that came with Vista and make Windows Vista unbootable.
Last edited by Marius on Sun Dec 06, 2009 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Marius
Simple Hen

Postby Fac3kk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 22:19

I believe ppl can read with understanding and edit lines when they already see them, that was meant to be generic.

Vista could become unbootable if grub-install /dev/sda1 was executed (assuming vista is on 1st partition), however it is in fact unnecessary and was written with too many assumptions.
BTW I never heard of vista MBR, there is hdd mbr and vista`s partition boot sector.
Fac3kk
Simple Hen

Postby Marius » Sun Dec 06, 2009 22:45

Fac3kk wrote:I believe ppl can read with understanding and edit lines when they already see them, that was meant to be generic.

That's an assumption one should never make, especially advising somebody to do something potentially destructive.

Fac3kk wrote:Vista could become unbootable if grub-install /dev/sda1 was executed (assuming vista is on 1st partition), however it is in fact unnecessary and was written with too many assumptions.
BTW I never heard of vista MBR, there is hdd mbr and vista`s partition boot sector.

I explain: the original MBR that came with Vista ("I believe ppl can read with understanding"). I haven't tried what you are saying, so I even don't know whether the syntax is correct but seeing that you propose

grub-install /dev/sda

I felt obliged to issue a note of warning to an unsuspecting inexperienced user.
Marius
Simple Hen

Postby Keinlicht07 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 23:26

Thanks to everyone who answered, i had forgotten how well a forum can work when it's not filled with incompetents :P.

Fac3kk wrote:If you are a KDE user you could do following:
1) run system-settings
2) go to advanced tab and select grub editor
3) set default on desired os
4) apply
[/code]

This is what worked for me, since i'm using kde (and not used to fooling around in bash yet!).
Keinlicht07
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area