Question about "Install new programmes/packages"

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Question about "Install new programmes/packages"

Postby xeeon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:04

Hi guys
I'm newbie in the Sabayon but not newbie in the Linux.
Today I installed the Sabayon 5 Gnome on my PC and I have some questions.
When I wanted to installed the ktorren in the Sabayon, it show me list packages that it will installed. The list very big and the size 1946 MB almost 2 GB.
When I wanted installed the virtualbox, it show me list, it big too. Size 2086MB
Why does list packages which need for ktorrent very big?
I hope you are understand my question.
For example: In the LinuxMint if you want to install the ktorrent you need about 20MB (maybe more I don't remember). Sabayon need 1946 MB
Another question
When I want to install ktorrent, virtualbox or another program, it say (I'm use "Sulfur" for install the packages)
Code: Select all
Package checksum matches: x11-libs:qt-3.3.8b-r2~1.tbz2
SHA1 matches
SHA256 matches
Package hash: SHA512 does not match the recorded one
Checksum does not match. Download attempt #6
( mirror #1 ) Downloading from: na.mirror.garr.it
( mirror #1 ) Successfully downloaded from: na.mirror.garr.it at 0.0b/second
Cannot fetch package or checksum does not match.
Try to download latest repositories.
An error occured. Action aborted.

Is the official repository not works?
xeeon
Baby Hen

Re: Question about "Install new programmes/packages"

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:25

Sabayon 5 was released on 2nd. October and the extra packages are partly updates but also all the KDE dependencies needed when you install ktorrent (which is a KDE package). The problem with the mirrors is known and you may find this useful: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=18994
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby stilgar » Wed Nov 25, 2009 20:25

Seems that sulfer has a simple problem of wanting you to update certain files before you can do anything else.
I also had this problem trying to install thunderbird which was not KDE but sulfer needed to install 252 updates which killed my gdm.
I believe that sulfer needs an update. After install a person should not have to do updates unless you wish to. Yet you should still be able to install other programs.
stilgar
Baby Hen

Postby gianco » Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:30

The problem is worse than just Sulfur wanting to do a full update at all costs. Having come to the conclusion that there was nothing I could do to change the default settings, I abandoned Sulfur and went to the console with the intention of just installing the GIMP. So, I made the mistake of typing the command <equo install gimp>.

After I accepted the license it showed the dependencies that were going to be installed and then proceeded to download stuff. Here I made my second mistake and went to make a cup of coffee. The short of it is that the app proceeded to do the update and was busy downloading some 293 packages, including useless things such as Samba (which I'm never going to use on my home network) and so forth. Waiting for it to finish now. No sense in stopping it after it chewed-up half of the bandwidth I had budgeted for this month.

ciao
gianco
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 21:37

A bit late now but remember
Code: Select all
--nodeps
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area