smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE [Solved]

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:31

Well, it may or may not be intentional. I'll investigate further as there may be a way of configuring it to allow anyone on the network to view everything on the network without restriction. But from a security point of view I could understand someone in the Samba development team deciding to not allow it by default. But, I'm just speculating. I'll investigate it when I get a chance, or perhaps someone with some spare time will do it before me. The important thing is that name translation works and that you can browse your shares (using names or IP addresses, as you wish). You just need to tell your wife -- if she uses your SL PC to browse a share on the Windows PC -- that the username and password she is being prompted for are those of the target PC, i.e the remote Windows PC, and the format has to be as I described in my earlier posts.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby E.M.G. » Fri Nov 13, 2009 14:51

Thanks Fitzcarraldo, She has her own laptop that runs SL5 KDE so making the shortcut in dolphin works fine for her ... I'm just glad we found a work-around for it ... thanks again..
Erick
E.M.G.
Simple Hen

Postby iamkrazee » Wed Dec 02, 2009 19:32

Why not create a link and add it to places? And/or desktop?
iamkrazee
Young Hen

Re: smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE

Postby .walls » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:16

Strangely, I have the same problem (authorisation box when browsing workgroups), although my home network is slightly larger than two machines, so shortcuts to all the shares isn't really an option that I'm entertaining.

I have a Sabayon 5 (x64) box that has this problem and a Gentoo (i686) box that doesn't (as well as various other wintel/linux boxes - but the sabayon and gentoo boxes are the closest in configuration). I believe that I've narrowed it down to a KDE issue (specifically Dolphin) as opposed to samba, as smbclient works flawlessly, as does smb4k (installed for testing). I normally use equo on the Sabayon box (because I'm lazy), however have recompiled samba, dolphin and kdebase-kioslaves with the same use flags as the Gentoo box and no joy (yes, I know the risks of mixing entropy and portage).

The funny thing is, however - although my testing points to KDE, if I X forward and open dolphin over ssh, I get the following console output:
Code: Select all
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_smb.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib64/kde4/kio_file.so
Could not get name of local/domain master browser for server mshome

which suggests that the interaction between dolphin and samba is poor (samba works, smb4k works, etc)

EDIT: I should point out that the above messages do not appear if I open a local console. I should also point out that the SL5 box is configured to be the local master, domain master and preferred master.
.walls
Baby Hen

Postby sanffs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:07

Hello boys, sorry I'm late.
I have the same problem here using Mandriva 2010, solution is very simple, but a bite obscure.

Add ip alias of the machines in the hosts files:

192.168.251.156 shiroi shiroi
192.168.251.153 black black
sanffs
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Dec 28, 2009 18:09

^Yes, but that only works if the machines in question use static IP addresses. For DHCP, it wouldn't work.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby .walls » Wed Jan 27, 2010 23:52

It also somewhat defeats the purpose of having a DNS server..

Any news on a fix for this? I've noticed that a new install on a VM (kde, x64, media I downloaded at the weekend) has this same problem, so it's still clearly an issue.
.walls
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:33

Try the following to see if it allows you to browse a Samba share without having to enter the username and password of the owner of the share on the other PC:

Kickoff > Computer > System Settings

Double-click on Sharing and enter the remote user's username for Default user name, and the remote user's password for Default password.

Works for me under KDE 4.3.3.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: smb problem after KDE 4.3.2 update: Sabayon 5.0 KDE [Sol

Postby ienichols » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:20

Has anyone found solution to this?

The problem is specifically that I cannot browse the computers in a windows workgroup from Konqueror or Dolphin.
Browsing to smb:/ does indeed list the WORKGROUP, but
browsing to smb://WORKGROUP, results in the prompt "Please enter authentication information for WORKGROUP", whilst
browsing directly to smb://COMPUTER does work!

Smb4K correctly allows browsing of the WORKGROUP/COMPUTER/SHARE tree, and
smbtree -N correctly lists the WORKGROUP COMPUTERS and SHARES.

This problem isn't unique, there is a similar thread here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... or-777850/
ienichols
Baby Hen

Previous

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area