Login Text Box: Entered text is "microscopic" [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Login Text Box: Entered text is "microscopic" [Solved]

Postby nickdanger » Sat Sep 05, 2009 19:43

When the login screen comes up during the boot process, I enter my user name into the text box, and the echoed characters on the screen are very tiny, not more than a few pixels. Everything else looks and works normal. Even the dots echoed during the password entry look normal, only the user name text characters are illegibly tiny. Login proceeds normally as long as the correct information is typed in. Very peculiar, and it did not always do this, it started after I did the kernel and driver update. Gnome 2.26.2, Kernel 2.6.29-Sabayon, AMD-64 and ATI video drivers 2.6.29.
I did: # equo conf update and it returned, "All fine baby. Nothing to do!"

Thank You,
N.D.
Last edited by nickdanger on Thu Apr 29, 2010 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

RE: Login Text Box: Entered text is "microscopic" [Solved]

Postby nickdanger » Thu Apr 29, 2010 19:34

Just in case someone else searches the same problem:

In the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf ; there is a parameter in the section "Monitor" named: "DisplaySize" followed by two numbers. DO NOT enter your monitor resolution values here (for example 1600 x 1200). The numbers you need are the actual screen display area dimensions in millimeters. For my display, the numbers are: DisplaySize 474 296.

You can also get the numbers by multiplying the native resolution values of your display by the actual dotpitch of the display (example - 0.255mm - so to demonstrate: 1600 x .255 and 1200 x .255 yields values of 408 306.

It is sometimes difficult to find the actual dotpitch however, so the simple way is to measure the display area with a metric scale in mm, or measure it in inches, and multiply by (25.4) to convert to mm. Do not use the diagonal screen size, use the viewable area width and the height.

You must have superuser permission to save a modified xorg.conf file in: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

The DisplaySize parameter can be safely eliminated if the DDC communication from the monitor is working correctly. If there is no DisplaySize, and no DDC, the text should default to 75 DPI.
nickdanger
Simple Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area