Will not boot to gui after try to install frostwire?[Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Will not boot to gui after trying to install frostwire?

Postby NicelyMKVI » Fri May 29, 2009 3:08

I ran everything you said after removing zenana. It ran for a long time updating and removing packages etc. The only thing I could not get to work was update-eix. It said there are no ebuilds to satisfy "update-eix".

I rebooted after world update and it went back to verbose mode I guess.I tried startx again and it says the same thing:
xauth: error while loading shared libraries: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

I tried running sulfur from the command line and it said:
ImportError: libxcb-xlib.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no file or directory.

Whatever that is it seems to be a big problem for me.

Thanks for your help.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Fri May 29, 2009 5:59

re-run
Code: Select all
equo libtest

and
equo deptest

what does it say?

also try re-installing libxcb
equo install libxcb

also you can try re-installing all X11 packages. just do a search in sulfur for them.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby NicelyMKVI » Sat May 30, 2009 14:02

I ran libtest and hundreds of lines ran and it said matched libraries. I ran deptest and it said calculating dependencies and then cache complete. I ran equo install libxcb and it installed it. I rebooted and now my computer goes to the nvidia splash screen, then a grey screen with a cursor x in the middle, and then it goes black. There is no blinking cursor at the top etc. It will not respond. I would like to reinstall all x11 packages but I do not know how to get it back to the command line and I dont know how to use sulfur from the command line.

Thanks for all your help.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby NicelyMKVI » Sat May 30, 2009 14:05

This may be nothing but I did change the jre per instruction on the wiki for frostwire. Could this have anything to do with it. Sabayon 4.2 splash screen also came up, which is fine with me as long as it does not make it more difficult for us to remedy the problem.

I keep pressing F2 when it is loading and it takes me to verbose mode. It keeps trying to start gui though. It goes to nvidia splash screen and then the grey screen. It goes blank and then nvidia screen might come back on again and flicker on and off. Sometimes it stays on the grey screen with purple lines across the top. I can not get back into a command line situation.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Sun May 31, 2009 23:21

after it gets to the grey screen with purple lines press ctrl+alt+F1 to get to a tty. then try re-installing your nvidia drivers.
equo install nvidia-drivers

also, check your eselect and make sure it is set correctly
eselect opengl list

if it needs to change;
eselect opengl set 1
or
eselect opengl set 2
or
eselect opengl set 3

you could also try not using the nvidia drivers,
edit your xorg.conf where it says driver="nvidia" change to driver="vesa"
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby NicelyMKVI » Mon Jun 01, 2009 0:54

I got to the grew screen but this time it went black after a few seconds. I hit burkctrl+alt+F1 and it is unresponsive. Just a black screen with no blinking cursor. Having to use phone so excuse typing errors.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:25

hmm that's a pretty hard lock-up. It sounds like video driver issues to me at this point. I guess I would try and load the LiveDVD, mount your harddrive partition where your sabayon installation is located. then change your installed environment's xorg.conf to reflect either of the following.

driver = "nv"
or
driver = "vesa"

also, what happens if you try just alt+F1 or alt+F2 or alt+F12 or clt+alt+F12. it's a long shot but maybe I'm confused on exactly where your boot is stalling.

kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby NicelyMKVI » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:33

I tried hitting alt+F12 and all the others with no luck. I boot in verbose mode and it gets to starting gdm and all the way to starting network manager then nvidia splash screen and then the grey screen to black.

I have strted the livecd but I do not know how to mount the hard drive. All I see in the bottom right corner is mount the /boot.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby NicelyMKVI » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:53

Well it has been 8 days since I bricked my system. Have I reached the point where I need to re-install and lose my info? I am on the livecdvd now and still can not find how to mount my hard drive.
Acer Aspire 8920G
T9300(2.50Ghz)
Geforce 9500m GS
4GB DDR2 667Mhz
320GB HDD
Blu-ray/Super multi DVD
Sabayon 4.2 Gnome 64 Bit
NicelyMKVI
Simple Hen

Postby ReemZ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:48

NicelyMKVI wrote:Well it has been 8 days since I bricked my system. Have I reached the point where I need to re-install and lose my info? I am on the livecdvd now and still can not find how to mount my hard drive.

OK here's a little bit of homework ;)
Look into 'mount' and 'chroot' commands (forum, wiki, google, 'man mount' and 'man chroot' in a terminal)

Tomorrow, I'll dig up what I've written down on the chroot procedure (eternal gratitude to IWonder for helping me out with that once!) and see if I can help, too knackered for that atm after trying to fix a couple of things on my own system (and not having succeeded - yet! hehe)

For now, I'm gonna roll me one, smoke that spliff and go to bed :alien:

(Five minutes later...)
Ow well...................why not give it a go anyways...
If you know what your / partition is, you can use following commands in a terminal, as root.
I will mention sda3 in the commands below, as that is my / partition (sda1 is my /boot, sda2 swap).
If your / partition is not sda3 but, for example, sdc2, replace sda3 with, in this example, sdc2!
Should your / partition be sdb1.....well, you get the idea.

mkdir /mnt/sda3 && mount -t ext3 /dev/sda3 /mnt/sda3

cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/sda3/etc && mount -t proc none /mnt/sda3/proc

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/sda3/dev

chroot /mnt/sda3 /bin/bash

CAUTION! In that particular terminal, you WILL be able to read, copy, alter and delete files from your INSTALLED environment! Above commands just made that terminal think it's not in the live-dvd-environment anymore!
DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT OR IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHERE (or what) YOUR / PARTITION IS! And if you do this, BE CAREFUL!

Good, now that I've scared you enough: In this terminal, you'll be able to take at look at logs, config files, errors, on your installed environment, which are what the experts here will need to guide you from there.
Also, this is where you manipulate your, for example, xorg.conf and eselect.
I'm afraid I'm not *nix savvy enough to know exactly what you're going to have to do, but the big guys will take it from here, I'm sure :lol:

Sorry for shouting (bold caps) at ya, and NOW I'm gonna roll me that d00b! :mrgreen:

/ReemZ
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!
ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area