KDE 4.1 amd64_K Live DVD Freezes Halfway Thru Boot [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

KDE 4.1 amd64_K Live DVD Freezes Halfway Thru Boot [Solved]

Postby tonyawards » Sun May 03, 2009 21:20

I have been holding off installing Sabayon for the new 4.1 release. When I try to load it I get through the initial boot sequence and then it just hangs with a blinking cursor and a black screen.

Specifically what’s happening in verbose mode: Compared to the Live DVDs of 3.5 and 4.0 rc1 it seems to take a much longer than usual time after ‘OpenGL Configurator – Done’ before moving forward to HAL and the next steps. It makes it to ‘Starting Network Manager – OK’, and then I get my nVidia screen for few seconds as before, then the cursor and black screen. The disc spins down and stops. The music continues to play until the song ends and the screen stays blank until I give up 15 minutes or so later.

The MD5 checksums are correct, and I have downloaded it twice from both a USA site and an Italian site on the mirror list, and burned it slowly at 2x with 2 different brands of discs (which worked fine for the 4.0).

What could be causing this that I haven’t tried? I did read wolfden’s ‘World Updating 101 Pre 4.1’, specifically the part about the nVidia diver updates, but I believe I have the latest version of the driver for my 6150 card. As for the Linux version, do I need that as well, and if so, how would I install it without being able to boot into the OS?

I’m pretty new to Linux, having just played with Live CDs but want to finally install Sabayon (was hoping to today, but may have to wait again...) as it has been the best I have found.

System specs are: HP dv600z with AMD Turion64 MK-36, nVidia GeForce 6150 Revision A2 v.182.50 for Windows XP Pro SP3.

Worst case, if I cannot get this to work, will the x86 disc work ok on my AMD64 system?

And/or, for a newbie, am I getting in over my head if I try to install 4.0 rc1 (which loads the Live DVD fine) and then update to 4.1?

Thank you all.
Last edited by tonyawards on Sat Jun 13, 2009 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
SL Version: XI+, just rollin' along / Kernel 3.8.3 | KDE 4.10.1 | HP dv6000z | AMD Turion64 MK-36 | 2GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 6150
tonyawards
Growing Hen

Re: KDE 4.1 amd64_K Live DVD Freezes Halfway Through Boot

Postby WarraWarra » Sun May 03, 2009 22:02

32bit will work on 64bit.

Okay you mentioned you see nvidia so then likely it is somewhere close to opengl or 3d acceleration and nvidia.

best is to use the cheat codes:
xdriver=vesa res=1024x768 noacceleration --

This should force vesa driver as close to a lawnmower specs to load so the video card and screen has to work at vesa driver and [email protected] and then once inside you can fix what can be upset.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Sun May 03, 2009 22:39

And/or, for a newbie, am I getting in over my head if I try to install 4.0 rc1 (which loads the Live DVD fine) and then update to 4.1?

The 4 branch is a rolling release, so a fully updated 4.0 would contain all the 4.1 packages
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby tonyawards » Mon May 04, 2009 0:29

WarraWarra wrote:32bit will work on 64bit.

Okay you mentioned you see nvidia so then likely it is somewhere close to opengl or 3d acceleration and nvidia.

best is to use the cheat codes:
xdriver=vesa res=1024x768 noacceleration --

This should force vesa driver as close to a lawnmower specs to load so the video card and screen has to work at vesa driver and [email protected] and then once inside you can fix what can be upset.

I just added the cheat code to the boot and got a little closer: half of a corrupted screen displayed (like when Windows dies on you) for a second or two and then it went black again with the cursor. So you're likely right. WarraWarra, is there a way I can take this a step further?

And kodiakmax - if I can't get past this and decide to install 4.0, I should be okay if I take wolfden's precautionary initial pre-installation steps before upgrading to 4.1, right? If I did go that route, then I would still have the full complement of software, drivers and codecs that comes with 4.0 to choose from after the upgrade, wouldn't I?

As a quick aside (and if this should be a separate thread please let me know), wolfden recommends 40GB for the installation. I've got an 80GB hard drive so I just wanted to make sure that means 40 for /, say 2GB for /swap, and the balance for /home. Do I have that correct, and will that allow plenty of headroom for additional software installations (XAMPP, Aptana Studio, etc.) down the road?

Thank you all again. As a newb to Sabayon, Gentoo, and Linux in general, I really appreciate it.
SL Version: XI+, just rollin' along / Kernel 3.8.3 | KDE 4.10.1 | HP dv6000z | AMD Turion64 MK-36 | 2GB RAM | nVidia GeForce 6150
tonyawards
Growing Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 04, 2009 1:07

I have seen with some nvidia cards it goes black and then a min or 3 later the gui and it logs itself in, maybe it is just going thru the same issues.

You can try booting with UMPC no 3d or just gui / text installer boot option.

To get to text login no gui desktop use:
nox
cheat code or the above + nox and then once root login you can run
xorgconfig
You can even copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from another disc say live cd dvd or previous installed linux xorg.conf that worked and replace or place in /dev/your-root-partition/etc/X11/xorg.conf and then reboot and there is a good 80% chance it would work without issues if copied , if xorgconfig then it will work with say 1024x768 res vesa " 0 / zero " for driver when asked.

Once inside a gui desktop you can download and install any driver / module needed to get it working.

Also if you have nvidia before 6800 model number then use nvidia legacy driver 96... or 97... and it will work.

Some cheat codes as well as in text attached files90%+ of these should work.
Hardware, drivers and troubleshooting options[b]

* [b]nonet
this will disable the network auto detection at startup
* scandelay=x pauses x seconds during the startup to allow slow devices to initialize. This is required when you boot an usb device. A delay of only few seconds should be enough.
* doxdetect Since version 0.3.5 the auto-configuration is done in X.Org itself, and then mkxf86config is disabled by default. This option forces the system to run the mkxf86config startup script to run the hardware auto-detection from this script. Use this option if you have problems with the graphical environment configuration. This option replaces the option noxdetect that was useful in previous versions.
* nodetect prevents the generic hardware auto-detection. Use this option if you have problems with the hardware auto-detection.
* doload=xxx forces to load one/several modules at startup (example: doload=3c59x)
* noload=xxx prevents the system to load one/several modules at startup (example: noload=3c59x). Use this option if you have a problem when the system loads a particular module at boot time.
* dostartx This option will force the system to load the X.Org graphical environment at boot time. You won't have to type startx by hand to get it.
* forcevesa Forces X.Org to work with the safe vesa driver instead of the best video driver detected for your video card. Use this option if you cannot get the graphical environment working with the default options.
* forcevesa=xxx The startx command will load the Xvesa server instead of Xorg, and Xvesa will use the screen resolution given as parameter (eg: 1024x768, 1280x1024x32). The forcevesa option can take a parameter from SystemRescueCd-1.0.0 and more recent.
* all-generic-ide In case of problems related to your hard disk, try to enable this option (eg rescuecd all-generic-ide)
* acpi-off / noapic / irqpool: use these options if you have any problem when the kernel boots: if it hangs on a driver or if it crashes, ...
* dodebug: Enables verbose messages in the linuxrc script.
* lowmem: Prevents non critical things to be loaded into memory (like the sshd and nfsd services)
* skipmount=/dev/xxx: The system mounts all the storage devices at boot time to find the sysrcd.dat file. You may not want it to mount a device, for instance if your hard disk is broken because it would crash the system. You can just boot with skipmount=/dev/sda1 skipmount=/dev/sda2 if you want SystemRescueCd to ignore these two partitions. This boot option requires SystemRescueCd-1.0.1 or more recent.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby tonyawards » Mon May 04, 2009 9:32

I gave it about 10 minutes to find the GUI, but no luck there. I used 'forcevesa' from your list, but got stuck in the same place in booting as before.

I then tried the 'nox' command in the boot menu, and it did get further than before. I reached the 'sabayon root #' prompt, and at that point typed 'xorgconfig', went through the steps as best I could, but then at the 'root #' prompt (after saving) did not know where to go next. (I am still running this as a Live DVD, not installed yet.) As you said, this will probably get me close enough in configuration that I can then get the driver/s I may need for this GeForce 6150. Or copy the xorgconfig file from this Live DVD and replace the 4.1 one.

Actually doing all this and making it stick will have to wait until I do a real install though, won't it? Is there any way to get the Live DVD to run so I can preview 4.1? (I'm currently online in my older 4.0 Live DVD and it's cruising along fine.)

By the way, I tried putting the DVD into another laptop we have here (Toshiba Satellite 200 series with AMD64 and ATi card), but unfortunately it would not work there either, saying the ATi was unsupported.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss certainly had it backwards, but I'll get there sooner or later...

Warra Warra, thank you for the codes listed in your post, as well as for the 2 attachments - they are going to be a big help, I'm sure, and are in my library of docs already.
tonyawards
Growing Hen

Postby Stupot » Mon May 04, 2009 14:57

This sounds a lot like a problem I used to have that I fixed by using the cheat code "noapic". I'm not saying it will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.

From the wiki:
noapic nolapic: disable APIC (mostly used on some faulty bioses).
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Muggins » Mon May 04, 2009 16:25

I am having the exact same problem with the KDE version of 4.1x64, however the gnome version of 4.1x64 works perfectly. I now have it installed.
Muggins
Baby Hen

Postby E.M.G. » Mon May 04, 2009 17:14

I've gotten this a few times as well ... what I did was when it was "stuck" with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner was to hit ctrl-alt-f1 and that brought me to a root prompt from there I tried restarting xdm
Code: Select all
/ect/init.d/xdm restart
also from this point I have edited the /ect/X11/xorg.conf
vi /ect/X11/xorg.conf
and change the driver from nvidia to just nv (basic nvidia driver) then restart xdm and I was at the desktop ... so what I would try would be to restart xdm and see if your desktop appears if not then edit your xorg.conf file and restart xdm ... one of them should bring you to a KDE desktop
E.M.G.
Simple Hen

Postby tonyawards » Tue May 05, 2009 0:53

Hi Stupot. I tried the noapic and did not get anything different to happen, unfortunately. but I appreciate the idea - it's all very new to me but this is how you do learn, right? If nothing ever went wrong you'd never learn how to fix it...

E.M.G. wrote:I've gotten this a few times as well ... what I did was when it was "stuck" with a blinking cursor in the upper left corner was to hit ctrl-alt-f1 and that brought me to a root prompt from there I tried restarting xdm
/ect/init.d/xdm restart
also from this point I have edited the /ect/X11/xorg.conf
vi /ect/X11/xorg.conf
and change the driver from nvidia to just nv (basic nvidia driver) then restart xdm and I was at the desktop ... so what I would try would be to restart xdm and see if your desktop appears if not then edit your xorg.conf file and restart xdm ... one of them should bring you to a KDE desktop

E.M.G. - you've hit it, at least getting the Live DVD to open into KDE. Restarting xdm with your code (/etc/init.d/xdm restart) at the root prompt in bootup sent it straight into the 4.1 KDE desktop, which is where I am writing from now.

Thank you! I spent all last night struggling with this, but it was worth it - KDE 4.1 looks great.

Lots of software missing from 4.0, but now I can begin to learn the package manager/s.

Question: is it true that portato and entropy should not be used together, and if so, which is going to work better for a (obviously) new user like me? Or is that better in another thread?

Now, to install and make this work after the full installation, besides wolfden's pre-installation/upgrade post I mentioned previously, is there more I should attend to since I have had this issue with the Live DVD?

Also (pardon my ignorance) but will the 40GB wolfden recommends for a full installation with plenty of headroom be just for root, with some for /swap and the rest of my drive left to /home?

Thank you all again very much - I look forward to getting SL installed ASAP.
tonyawards
Growing Hen

Next

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area