Page 5 of 6

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 20:22
by dunsurfin
mrnishi wrote: I dont secure the pasword change worked but...
---------------
[email protected]:/etc# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
-----------------------------
I think the password change but when I make the chroot...
------------
sabayon disk # chroot /media/disk /bin/bash
id: cannot find name for group ID 11
id: cannot find name for group ID 409
id: cannot find name for group ID 410
id: cannot find name for group ID 411
---------------
And when I make groups....
-------------------
[email protected]:/etc# groups
root daemon bin sys adm disk uucp id: cannot find name for group ID 11
11 dialout tape sudo id: cannot find name for group ID 409
409 id: cannot find name for group ID 410
410 id: cannot find name for group ID 411
411
------------------------
I think I have a problem with groups... and not with the password....
That isn't the way I did it.

Here is what I did when I was talked through it on live help:


<Azerthoth>: wb Dunsurfin
<Azerthoth>: ready?
<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth I'm back with livecd booted
<Azerthoth>: k, need a terminal with root
<Azerthoth>: then cd /mnt
<Azerthoth>: mkdir inst
<Azerthoth>: mount /dev/<your install> /mnt/inst
<Azerthoth>: let me know when your at that point

<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoht I'm at this point now mount /dev/<your install> /mnt/inst
<Azerthoth>: k, you know what I meant there correct? or you need expanding
<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth I now have that file system mounted at/mnt/ inst in my livecd
<Azerthoth>: chroot /mnt/inst /bin/bash
<Azerthoth>: note the space
<Azerthoth>: should get a root prompt
<Azerthoth>: pwd should show /
<Dunsurfin>: I have a root prompt with /#
<Azerthoth>: cool

<Azerthoth>: type 'passwd'

<Azerthoth>: it will ask for new password, this is for you root account
<Dunsurfin>: New Unix password
<Azerthoth>: thats the one, just enter whatever you want your root passwd to be
<Azerthoth>: Dunsurfin we can also reset user passwords too from here
<Dunsurfin>: OK I now have password updated succesfully
<Dunsurfin>: How do I do the user?

<Azerthoth>: to reset user password 'passwd <the user name>'
<FireVai>: passwd <user?

<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth that's done now. Do I need to do anything or just exit?
<Azerthoth>: Dunsurfin once done, type exit, to get out of chroot
<Azerthoth>: then cd
<Azerthoth>: then umount /mnt/inst

If you can follow it you should be OK.

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 20:40
by mrnishi
dunsurfin wrote:
mrnishi wrote: I dont secure the pasword change worked but...
---------------
[email protected]:/etc# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
-----------------------------
I think the password change but when I make the chroot...
------------
sabayon disk # chroot /media/disk /bin/bash
id: cannot find name for group ID 11
id: cannot find name for group ID 409
id: cannot find name for group ID 410
id: cannot find name for group ID 411
---------------
And when I make groups....
-------------------
[email protected]:/etc# groups
root daemon bin sys adm disk uucp id: cannot find name for group ID 11
11 dialout tape sudo id: cannot find name for group ID 409
409 id: cannot find name for group ID 410
410 id: cannot find name for group ID 411
411
------------------------
I think I have a problem with groups... and not with the password....
That isn't the way I did it.

Here is what I did when I was talked through it on live help:


<Azerthoth>: wb Dunsurfin
<Azerthoth>: ready?
<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth I'm back with livecd booted
<Azerthoth>: k, need a terminal with root
<Azerthoth>: then cd /mnt
<Azerthoth>: mkdir inst
<Azerthoth>: mount /dev/<your install> /mnt/inst
<Azerthoth>: let me know when your at that point

<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoht I'm at this point now mount /dev/<your install> /mnt/inst
<Azerthoth>: k, you know what I meant there correct? or you need expanding
<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth I now have that file system mounted at/mnt/ inst in my livecd
<Azerthoth>: chroot /mnt/inst /bin/bash
<Azerthoth>: note the space
<Azerthoth>: should get a root prompt
<Azerthoth>: pwd should show /
<Dunsurfin>: I have a root prompt with /#
<Azerthoth>: cool

<Azerthoth>: type 'passwd'

<Azerthoth>: it will ask for new password, this is for you root account
<Dunsurfin>: New Unix password
<Azerthoth>: thats the one, just enter whatever you want your root passwd to be
<Azerthoth>: Dunsurfin we can also reset user passwords too from here
<Dunsurfin>: OK I now have password updated succesfully
<Dunsurfin>: How do I do the user?

<Azerthoth>: to reset user password 'passwd <the user name>'
<FireVai>: passwd <user?

<Dunsurfin>: Azerthoth that's done now. Do I need to do anything or just exit?
<Azerthoth>: Dunsurfin once done, type exit, to get out of chroot
<Azerthoth>: then cd
<Azerthoth>: then umount /mnt/inst

If you can follow it you should be OK.
I make it good but my post not the operation... is the problems...
1.I make chroot
2.Change the passwords
3.exit chroot
5.umount
6.Reboot
I make it good

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 20:48
by dunsurfin
mrnishi wrote: I make it good but my post not the operation... is the problems...
1.I make chroot
2.Change the passwords
3.exit chroot
5.umount
6.Reboot
I make it good
I'm confused now :)

1/ Do you still have a problem?
2/ Do your passwords work?
3/ Can you login?
4/ Is the problem with kdm? (a blank screen after booting)

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 21:45
by mrnishi
1.Yes
2.No
3.No
4.No
The problem is I cant login then I used kuser to add a user....

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 21:50
by dunsurfin
How did you partition your hard drive when you installed Sabayon?

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 22:13
by mrnishi
dunsurfin wrote:How did you partition your hard drive when you installed Sabayon?
2 gb swap and the ext4 partition....

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 22:25
by dunsurfin
mrnishi wrote:
dunsurfin wrote:How did you partition your hard drive when you installed Sabayon?
2 gb swap and the ext4 partition....
1/ If you used "automatic partitioning" you will probably have LVM partitions and the instructions I used will not work :( and you will find it quicker to reinstall.

2/ If you used "manual partitioning" you will have a partition name for your installation such as sda6 (the number will depend on how you partitioned). It is important to use that when following the instructions to change the password using the livecd.

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:00
by albfneto
I also had some problems with KUser.
after added an new user, Kuser cannot more opened or work.
but no afraid, since i use it very rarely.

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 20:24
by Nichiren
dunsurfin wrote:Using kuser to add myself to the lp group made my root and user passwords fail. I advise against using it. Reported as issue 638
I just registered here to ask about this.
In Sabayon 4.2 K I used kuser, and suddenly upon next login both my root and user passwords didn't work anymore :shock:
Luckily, I just shortly before installed it, so I just re-installed it anew - no loss.
Good to know what was the cause, so I know to avoid it now. I only rarely use it, anyway.

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:35
by drzsab
Hi All, I also had problems with Gnome user and groups, under System, Administration. I find it weird that I am not listed as a user. So what I did was the samething I do in Arch linux and did # gpasswd -a <yourusername> <group> I am now in most of the groups in Sabayon.
Not sure if this will help anyone.