Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Postby wolfden » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:09

Merging all these topics and sticking it
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby sjieke » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:52

physivic wrote:Of course, mount can't do much with it. dmesg says 'Unable to detect ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda2' and mount just gives some odd error saying the filesystem is unknown - lvm2pv. This is a logical volume and I never made one! I just told the installer to wipe the whole disk when I put in Sabayon.

As far as I know, when you let the installer partition your disks automatically it creates logical volumes using LVM2. In the wiki there is a howto to mount LVM partitions: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Mount_LVM
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby physivic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 14:31

ok, thanx. I appreciate the effort you've put in, but I'd like some info on kuser (kde) vs. users-admin (gnome). This sticky thread doesn't name users-admin, and that's where I ran into the problem, not in KDE at all.
physivic
Baby Hen

Postby physivic » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:01

followed instructions to mount logical volume

[ $ pvs ; $ lvdisplay /dev/<whatever you got from pvs as your drive name> ; $ cd /mnt ; $ mkdir lvm ; $ vgscan --mknodes ; $ lvchange -ay /dev/<drive name here again> ; $ mount /dev/<name again!> /mnt/lvm ]

chroot to /bin/bash

passwd: cannot find name for user 0

whoami: can't tell your username, or the like

also tried chroot /bin/tcsh just for kicks, same exact result

cat /etc/passwd and cat /etc/passwd or vim either of those files, and there is no root user
tried to add it, but i'm not root, so I can't do it!

helps... then help on security, if possible, in case it wasn't Gnome users-admin at all that caused this (doubt it)
physivic
Baby Hen

Postby physivic » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:37

I tried editing /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow with nano, and got the files to change.

Passwd and whoami return the same exact results as before, and booting into the installation yields a console login, though I had it going into an X window login before the users-admin disaster. Nobody knows what to do, here?
physivic
Baby Hen

Postby mrnishi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 19:25

Hi,first sorry for my bad english but I'm a fourteen years old spanish boy,my problem is because I used Kuser to add a user and then when I rebooted and I tryed to log into the computer across kdm and console later they said my the password dont correct,I think in a solution and I use the live cd and chroot to change the password of my user and root but that not run and when I try to log kmd and the console say me the same.
Any solutions ? Because I dont want try a lot of solutions and make the problem worst and need reinstall Sabayon...
Thanks
mrnishi
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 19:36

mrnishi wrote:Hi,first sorry for my bad english but I'm a fourteen years old spanish boy,my problem is because I used Kuser to add a user and then when I rebooted and I tryed to log into the computer across kdm and console later they said my the password dont correct,I think in a solution and I use the live cd and chroot to change the password of my user and root but that not run and when I try to log kmd and the console say me the same.
Any solutions ? Because I dont want try a lot of solutions and make the problem worst and need reinstall Sabayon...
Thanks

Am I right in thinking that you can't get the livecd to run? Have you tried any other livecd? (it doesn't have to be Sabayon one). As far as I know, the only way to fix the problem is to reset the passwords using chroot.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby mrnishi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 19:46

dunsurfin wrote:
mrnishi wrote:Hi,first sorry for my bad english but I'm a fourteen years old spanish boy,my problem is because I used Kuser to add a user and then when I rebooted and I tryed to log into the computer across kdm and console later they said my the password dont correct,I think in a solution and I use the live cd and chroot to change the password of my user and root but that not run and when I try to log kmd and the console say me the same.
Thanks

Am I right in thinking that you can't get the livecd to run? Have you tried any other livecd? (it doesn't have to be Sabayon one). As far as I know, the only way to fix the problem is to reset the passwords using chroot.

Sorry for my bad english again :lol:
The live cd,the chroot and the change of the password with passwd run perfectly but I reboot and the problem continue... I cant log in kdm...
Thanks
mrnishi
Baby Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 19:55

mrnishi wrote:Sorry for my bad english again :lol:
The live cd,the chroot and the change of the password with passwd run perfectly but I reboot and the problem continue... I cant log in kdm...
Thanks

Can I just be sure about this? When you reboot, the password change hasn't worked.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby mrnishi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 20:08

dunsurfin wrote:
mrnishi wrote:Sorry for my bad english again :lol:
Thanks

Can I just be sure about this? When you reboot, the password change hasn't worked.

I dont secure the pasword change worked but...
---------------
root@sabayon:/etc# passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
-----------------------------
I think the password change but when I make the chroot...
------------
sabayon disk # chroot /media/disk /bin/bash
id: cannot find name for group ID 11
id: cannot find name for group ID 409
id: cannot find name for group ID 410
id: cannot find name for group ID 411
---------------
And when I make groups....
-------------------
root@sabayon:/etc# groups
root daemon bin sys adm disk uucp id: cannot find name for group ID 11
11 dialout tape sudo id: cannot find name for group ID 409
409 id: cannot find name for group ID 410
410 id: cannot find name for group ID 411
------------------------
I think I have a problem with groups... and not with the password....
mrnishi
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area