Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:31

I believe that LVM partitions don't behave in the same way :( You may find it helpful to go to Sabayon live help.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: hald faild to start

Postby Aakhunaten » Wed Jun 10, 2009 17:24

No luck :(

Still cant login... and the console says hald failed to start.

where can i see what was the reason why it did not start?

Thanks,
praveen
Aakhunaten
Baby Hen

Postby Aakhunaten » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:32

Hi,

I finally got the error message as to why hald does not start. I disabled x windows and i logged into the F1 console (keyboard works in this mode and not X windows). Then I ran

start-stop-daemon --start -q --exec /usr/sbin/hald -- --daemon=yes --use-syslog --verbose=yes

This commands shows the error message
<<

Could not get password database information for current process : user "???" unknown or no mem to allocate password entry.

DIE: hald_runner_die(): Runner died.

>>

Does this make any sense? What all did kuser screw up????
Any chance I can restore this without actually reinstalling the OS?

Thanks in advance.
aakhunaten
Aakhunaten
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:23

wolfden wrote:yes, using kuser is bad, see:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16777

see that thread and do as others have posted what to do to fix
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Aakhunaten » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:00

Thanks Wolfden for your quick reply.

I fixed the issue finally using the solution provided at http://forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php ... 6ada4a6dc1

The issue was the permissions of passwd, group, shadow and gshadow files.

Back in business :lol:

Thanks again

aakhunaten
Aakhunaten
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon 4.1 K; do not use kuser

Postby amoebios » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:24

Not a problem at all. I used Azerthoth's instructions from the wiki to mount the LVM: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... _Mount_LVM

Thanks to everyone for the nice help. I would have probably found it myself, if i wasn't so lazy. Looking back, it was really easy :oops:
amoebios
Growing Hen

Real Root Problem - cannot login or su

Postby physivic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 22:10

I tried to add a user with the 'Users and Groups' app under Gnome (System > Administration > Users and Groups). I clicked some privileges, made a password, and apparently destroyed all the login information for everyone. I can't su to root, I can't su to this new user, and I'm not willing to try to login as the user I'm running X under.

Thanks for the help!
physivic
Baby Hen

Re: Real Root Problem - cannot login or su

Postby kodiakmax » Mon Jun 15, 2009 22:42

If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby physivic » Mon Jun 15, 2009 23:51

Hey, thanks. I will use the live CD to reset passwords.

I have some old (like 2002) linux/UNIX reference books lying around & I'd use them to figure out how to manage users properly (text &c) if you could tell me that some of the commands will work the same. Any ideas?

Also, you seem to have searched 'kuser' to find those pages. The information there applies somewhat, but it was an app called 'users-admin' in Gnome that screwed me up, not kuser. I do not use KDE.

Incidentally, when I searched 'install kde' on the site, it told me that those words were too common and were ignored. Frustrating, but I found the command (equo install kde-base or something - don't remember and can't search for it :P ). This & the emergency nature of this problem is why I posted instead of digging.
physivic
Baby Hen

Postby physivic » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:44

following these instructions

download/file.php?id=502

from the forum you linked above, I get some serious errors. First, the drive isn't recognized by gparted, which is linked on the livecd desktop. In the info window for the disk (it does show up), it says "Unable to detect filesystem! Possible errors are" broken/unknown filesystem or unformatted disk. This disk, at /dev/sda2 , is my main disk and worked just fine all the way through shutdown.

Of course, mount can't do much with it. dmesg says 'Unable to detect ext3 filesystem on /dev/sda2' and mount just gives some odd error saying the filesystem is unknown - lvm2pv. This is a logical volume and I never made one! I just told the installer to wipe the whole disk when I put in Sabayon.

Using fsck with the -l option doesn't help, either. It comes up with 'error 2.'

Thanks for reading

EDIT // is /dev/sda1 the root partition, even though it's the tiny one? I remember using larger partitions for root filesystems when I had to choose them myself years ago, but I've been off Linux for a while. :mrgreen: EDIT 2 // No, it isn't. It appears to be a boot partition, about 100mb. /boot , /grub , /lost+found , a 2.6.27 kernel & not much else.
physivic
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area