Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE [Solved]

Postby craigs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 21:39

I don't know. Maybe it's just me.

Downloaded and installed the 4.1 KDE - 64 version this morning. Very nice looking distro. Almost everything I've tried seems to work. Almost everything.

Was going to add permanent DNS to the network and then fix KDM so I've got a login with nothing more than a gentle push on the enter button (or a sharp stab with an index finger, depending on the excitement level). Alas, can't do either. There just ain't no "Administrator Mode" (or, at least one that I know how to find). Logging in as Root has also been nixed, so that option is also not available.

Anyone have suggestions or comments?

CraigS

Last edited by craigs on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:22, edited 1 time in total.
craigs
Baby Hen

Re: Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE

Postby kodiakmax » Wed Apr 29, 2009 22:36

Not sure quite what you mean.
Do you mean you "su" or "sudo" or "gksudo" doesn't work?
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby craigs » Wed Apr 29, 2009 23:06

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer. No problem becoming root from a terminal. You just can't login as root from the KDM login screen. Only "users." Logging in as "Root" is not allowed.

I'm completely new to KDE4 so I'm just wondering if it's something I've missed. I did take a look at it briefly once before - Kubuntu, I think, and it seems to me that if you need to do something as root while logged in as a user, (like adjust the KDM set-up from the "Advanced" System Settings there was an "Administrator Mode" button you'd click on then enter the root password.

Maybe my memory's faulty, but there isn't any "Administrator Mode" button here. No doubt the changes can be made from a root terminal, but I'm at a total loss as to what files to change, and don't really want to hunt them up when there's a spiffy GUI available (hopefully) for that purpose.

Hope this clears the fog.

Craig S
craigs
Baby Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Wed Apr 29, 2009 23:24

Ok, it is intentional that you can't log in as root from the KDM screen. It is a security feature. It is possible to change it, But one I'm not going to get into.

It has been a little while since I ran or looked at KDE-4.2.2 However, if you want to make changes to KDM setup or whatever and super user privileges are required, the individual gui components that control the associated function have a button within their gui's that activate the "admin mode". or running "gksudo system-settings" should load the KDE control panel with su privileges.

If that doesn't help, I'll try loading up KDE-4.2.2 later sometime, if someone else doesn't provide more detailed "how-to"
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby craigs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 0:04

Yeah, I knew the "can't log in as root" is intentional, however, I can probably screw up just about as much from a root terminal as I can from a root GUI on root's desktop. I suppose part of it depends on your mouse pointing skills as opposed to fat finger typing skills. In my case it may be a toss-up.

Anyway, I think maybe we might have a bug here. In "System Settings - Advanced - System" if you click on the "Grub Editor" you'll get a request for the Administrator Password. You DO NOT get the request if you click on "Login Manager," "Network Management," or "Samba." "Power management" and "Task Scheduler" do not require root as they are user items.

Going back to the "root login not allowed" thing, sometimes it's just easier to log in as root if you've got a list of things to do, and of course, if you are a command line dummy like me.

Don't know if this problem applies to the X86 version or not since I have the 64 bit version.

Craig S
craigs
Baby Hen

Postby mobilehunter » Thu Apr 30, 2009 0:58

But for "Login Manager", i think we cannot do anything from there.
It seems all content are disabled.
mobilehunter
Growing Hen

Postby thecdn » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:00

I was able to set autlogon with "kdesu systemsettings" - enter password and it will give you systemsettings as root.
thecdn
Simple Hen

Re: Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE (solved)

Postby craigs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:33

Thanks thecdn. That's a work-around that works.

I marked it as "solved" even though it's probably a bug. I suspect a dev will have will have to perform the appropriate magic to clean up this little glitch.

And so now I'm off to the next thing that's gonna make me scratch my head in wonderment, or maybe, because I've let the dogs get too close - the flea bitten mutts. :mrgreen:

Craig S
craigs
Baby Hen

Re: Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE [Solved]

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 16:19

=O Bugs? we dont have bugs! we have features!

try reporting your bug on http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: Administrator Mode 4.1 KDE [Solved]

Postby craigs » Thu Apr 30, 2009 17:23

Oh yeah, "features."

But should a "feature" confuse the already terminally confused? I suppose one could call this wart on my posterior a feature too, but, believe me, I try not to advertise it. But kdict defines "feature" as, " any marked peculiarity or characteristic; as, one of the features of the landscape," (which, by definition could include a dilapidated outhouse) so I guess we got to let you get away with the usage. :D

Anyway, I was gonna list it as a bug, but after pondering the problem I got to thinking it was probably a KDE thingee rather than a Sabayon thingee. Whatdaya think?

Craig S
craigs
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area