Linux for internet cafe?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

dado023
Baby Hen

Linux for internet cafe?

Post by dado023 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 22:58

hi all,

i am setting up internet caffe(8 computers(geforce6,512 or 1GB ram, cpu ~2000mhz)), so i am considerig using Sabayon Linux 4 "LiteMCE",
, ...or you can suggest me another linux distrubution,.....

i would like it to be internet/office/user friendly, and if possible desktop eyecandy(compiz) :D,
......what do you think....waiting for your suggestions....

and one more thing(very important)....how i am gonna control all those 8 client machines, is there any software? :oops:

thanks

micia
Sagely Hen

Re: Linux for internet cafe?

Post by micia » Sun Apr 12, 2009 0:16

For your requirements Sabayon seems a good choice, I think; you could install it with firefox, openoffice, maybe Lyx
and some others office/network apps and you should obtain a good result.
What do you need to control on those clients?

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:06

Yup any linux will work.
SL is very good for this as it can either be run in live dvd mode so even if there is trash and rubish downloaded onto the desktop you can just reboot and all is back to orriginal.

Installing you would be able to add a few fixes to it as well as update some programs that might be needed or add skype and or even runa few win programs in wine-doors if you need to.

Just keep in min that most Nvidia and ATI card before a certain numbering / model will need thier legacy drivers instead of the default Ati / Nvidia driver.

You can even think of setting up a local bin package repository ie: download and build once then let all machines on the network download from this lan pc and install = more admin flexibility.

Using sshd or similar you can login and fix things while the users are using it if needed from anywhere on earth and heck that helps.

We expect the 4.1 cd version to be out soon and it might have a few bugs not yet found / fixed but can be fixed quickly if needed.
I would recomend using it if you want a more customized version that can easily be cloned using bootp / PXE net boot or similar.

If all machines is the same part just build on one and clone the hd's then remeber to set each one's hostname slightly different once running.

There is so many customizable options in Gentoo / SL that once it bites you you would be addicted and never go back. It aint perfect but a hell of a lot more usefull than most linux distro's out there.

O if needed get in touch with Fabio / dev. team as they can custom build one for you for a small fee and the IRC chat / webchat top of this page is always available for help unlike most other distro's / Os's.

If you can list the hardware using lspci or motherboard model or similar we can suggest way's to get things working first time and avoid time delay's.

There used to be a lot of time management software for linux out there that can easily be added to SL for payment / time control of customers as well as bandwidth limiting so you can load balance internet QOS to all customers.

Best things is you can use the idle time on the machines in a distcc or cluster config over lan to build bin packages or help with development should you be able too but this might be a bit more tricky to setup / fine tuned.

The possibilities are endless.

dado023
Baby Hen

Post by dado023 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 15:03

1) i need to control time of usage for each client,
2) and i would like for every client to have ability to print at one printer(like sharing printer in LAN in windows),
3) and folder sharing would be nice,
4) and ability to remote lock and unlock client machine
5) and i would like to have remote control for every client
6) and to have msn/yahoo alternative with web cam ability and voice
7) and some billing software to calculate used time in currency

is this possible?

@WarraWarra

i would be willing to pay(not to much :roll: ) for some moded sabayon version, but how much would it cost?
thanks....

BTW: i have stumbled at ZenCafe http://support.zenwalk.org/viewtopic.ph ... 651569161e

WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Post by WarraWarra » Sun Apr 12, 2009 17:07

PM Fabio "lxnay" http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/ucp.php?i ... ompose&u=2
or e-mail him at
lxnay at sabayonlinux dot org

He will be able to tell you more.

dado023
Baby Hen

Post by dado023 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 21:04

WarraWarra wrote:PM Fabio "lxnay" http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/ucp.php?i ... ompose&u=2
or e-mail him at
lxnay at sabayonlinux dot org

He will be able to tell you more.
tnx
done, now w8ing 4 his response

DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Post by DontPanic » Thu Apr 16, 2009 16:53

That ZenCafe looks really interesting.

Even if you don't decide to use that release, I bet you'll find a wealth of information there on the programs and configuration settings you might want to use for managing internet cafe computers.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU [email protected] 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:47

Daniel,
what about using Sabayon 4.1 :) ?
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+

dado023
Baby Hen

Post by dado023 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 17:49

lxnay wrote:Daniel,
what about using Sabayon 4.1 :) ?
i downloaded sabayon gnome 4.1(i love GNOME ;) ), and i tried it, it looks damn good, but lacks some good old apps such as google earth, opera...etc....couldn't figure out how to use spritz and install those....
anyway i like out of the box compiz acceleration, ...but my main problem is billing and control of client form sabayon main computer to other sabayon clients.........in some way zencafe is good in that way, but zenwalk is not so rich...

and i love that HTC program, it is really eye candy.....

cheers

lxnay
Land Owner

Post by lxnay » Tue Apr 21, 2009 18:02

What about:

Code: Select all

equo install googleearth
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+