HELP: Display Fails with 07Dec2019 Upgrade [Solved]

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Re: HELP: Display Fails with 07Dec2019 Upgrade [Solved]

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:36

Hello, PrimeSuspect.

I am the individual that opened this thread, and I am the individual that marked it "Solved".

If solution requires a new sabayon-weekly ISO image in order to perform a clean LFC, then you might be waiting a very long time unless you build the ISO image yourself. The most recent "monthly" ISO (that defaults to sabayon-weekly) was published 27 Mar 2019.

I marked it "Solved" because (1) there was a known workaround, and (2) I learned and detailed how to modify the operating system to eliminate the problem. Please read the following links to earlier posts in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=35592&start=10#p184815
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=35592&start=10#p184816

PrimeSuspect
Baby Hen

Post by PrimeSuspect » Sun Dec 22, 2019 19:24

I too have 'learned' a lot of things in life and one of them is when clients ask me to recommend a Linux system they at least expect to install and update it without then needing to research solutions for a broken desktop. Although you and others might regard the posts here as a solution in my terms it is certainly not an acceptable one so I'll no longer be recommending Sabayon. I don't expect to 'modify' a new car for it to run and so same applies to an operating system.

MikeDee
Baby Hen

Post by MikeDee » Mon Dec 23, 2019 16:47

PrimeSuspect wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 19:24
I too have 'learned' a lot of things in life and one of them is when clients ask me to recommend a Linux system they at least expect to install and update it without then needing to research solutions for a broken desktop. Although you and others might regard the posts here as a solution in my terms it is certainly not an acceptable one so I'll no longer be recommending Sabayon. I don't expect to 'modify' a new car for it to run and so same applies to an operating system.
Sabayon (and other rolling release distros) take more care and feeding because stuff can break in an upgrade. I have a bunch of distros installed, but I agree that breakages like this would keep me from relying on Sabayon as my only install.

astratom
Baby Hen

Post by astratom » Thu Feb 20, 2020 18:19

thanks for the help guys