Sabayon does not start, llptool

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

richarddjames
Baby Hen

Sabayon does not start, llptool

Post by richarddjames » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:04

The title should say lldptool.

Hi, sabayon stopped working, grub starts, but whatever option I choose I just see what seems to be the man page for something called "lldptool", I started my computer with rescatux and saw with gparted that the partiton on which sabayon is installed appears to be full which has caused problems in the past. does anybody know how I could through rescatux access the files on the sabayon partition in order to delete some to see if that fixes things, looking at gparted it says the mount point is vg-myusername ? I am quite at a loss as to how I should tackle this.

richarddjames
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon does not start, llptool

Post by richarddjames » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:59

I managed to mount the partition in rescatux thanks to Mr-Hide on IRC but it turns out that there is actually 1.2 gigas of free space so I now have no idea what to do.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 13:52

On 1 of my systems I ran into this:
https://ibb.co/khp0LU

Seems you are bumping into the same thing. I just waited for a few minutes and the system did boot up.
After some digging around I found that net-misc/lldpad is most likely causing this issue. This package is a remainder of the old Anaconda installer and probably safe to remove.

(I'll test this theory later and let you know)
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

richarddjames
Baby Hen

Post by richarddjames » Thu Sep 13, 2018 15:21

the image linked in joost's post is what now displays on my computer, mine also says "missing argument for option -p" though unlike him I've left my pc on for at least an hour and there were no apparent changes.
also in case it helps I think my partitions and grub might be somewhat messed up in that I deleted my windows partition and tuned it into a partition I use to store files in, but grub still has a link to the now deleted windows partition and it does display a error message that goes back way too quickly for me to catch it.
https://imgur.com/a/Xe9CwUV

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 16:09

I got it resolved on my laptop.

First equo remove net-misc/lldpad and net-misc/fcoe-utils
Then you must reinstall your current kernel to make it generate a new initramfs without fcoe support.

Reboot and it should be fine.

richarddjames
Baby Hen

Post by richarddjames » Thu Sep 13, 2018 16:13

The issue is that I cant get past the man page so how should I go about removing lldpad ?

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Thu Sep 13, 2018 18:47

Not 100% sure but you could try to pass a bootflag. When you start the system, in grub press "e" to edit the bootline and add the following in there:

Code: Select all

rd.blacklist=fcoe
Then press ctrl+x to boot this line.

If correct the fcoe module that is causing this problem will not be loaded.
If that works you want to get ridd of these packages:

Code: Select all

equo remove net-misc/lldpad net-misc/fcoe-utils
Now you have to regenerate the initramfs.
This can be done by reinstalling the kernel package

//edit: most likely need to use rd.blacklist=fcoe instead of rdblacklist=fcoe

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Thu Sep 13, 2018 21:32

I had the same issue after some updates but I've restored a backup (I didn't investigate 'cause I (am) was busy.
My system needs to be update but I'll check Joost solution asap.
[Che Cos'è Il Calcolo Distribuito (BOINC)

BOINC ready ! Sabayon+BOINC = BILD ,my Sabayon spin :cyclops: - Ready to crunch for the Science everywhere :)

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Sep 16, 2018 22:58

Hello and thank you in advance to the gurus of Sabayon!

My systems (desktop and laptop) are both experiencing this issue, and the appearance is apparently identical to the image provided by Joost. Both system still boot into Sabayon, but I do have to wait a long time before a timeout elapses and then the kernel is booted.

Before I attempt Joost's fix, which is
1. equo remove net-misc/lldpad
2. equo remove net-misc/fcoe-utils
3. "reinstall your current kernel to make it generate a new initramfs without fcoe support"
4. reboot
I need to understand a few things.
A. Does reinstalling the current kernel (after performing steps 1 and 2) automatically generate a new initramfs without fcoe support? If not, then how do I "generate a new initramfs without fcoe support"?
B. Since I run VirtualBox with the current kernel, do I also need to reinstall the VirtualBox modules?
C. I can boot into multiple Sabayon kernel versions. Do I need to do this procedure for each kernel version? Or does performing this procedure on one kernel version complete the task for all kernel versions?

Again, thank you very much in advance!

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26

A. Yes. Once net-misc/fcoe-utils (and net-misc/lldpad) are removed from the system they will not be included in initramfs anymore.
We actually implemented in sabayon-version to not have this installed anymore.

https://github.com/Sabayon/sabayon-dist ... 9f48779a7c
So if you upgrade the system now, it will automatically remove those packages anyway.

B. No.

C. Each kernel has its own initramfs, so yes. Repeat the procedure for each kernel. Eventually the problem will go away because older kernels get updated too and if such an updated kernel is installed it will also regenerate initramfs and the problem solves itself.

You are welcome.