Things going transparent in GUI after newest updates.

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

heathen
Growing Hen

Things going transparent in GUI after newest updates.

Post by heathen » Tue May 16, 2017 15:38

I'm used to one or two things being a bit weird after running updates, but this one is a bit different. I try to do something in terminal and whole blocks of text will go transparent, only showing a big section of the wallpaper behind it. Drop downs from the panel like Applications, Battery, and Date/Time do it as well. The text comes back after a few seconds, but it really slows me down. I'm trying to update the kernel as I type this, and then I'll run updates again, just to see if that helps. But if it doesn't I'll be back.
just wandering around and poking stuff with sticks...

heathen
Growing Hen

Re: Things going transparent in GUI after newest updates.

Post by heathen » Sat May 20, 2017 16:40

So, updating kernel did no good. The problem seems to be mostly involving the panel and drop down menus in most all applications.
I am running Xfce on an Aspire E1-431.

donpine
Baby Hen

Post by donpine » Fri May 26, 2017 2:33

I've got the same problem! Just came back to Sabayon after being shut out when 32 bit support ended (I've got newer machines now). Grabbed the CD, installed, and all was fine. But on updating, I have the problem you describe.

However, Openbox runs flicker free. So I suspect the problem lies within the Xfce4 upgrade.

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 16:37

So, I've been putting up with this because I really haven't had time to deal with it, but it's getting worse. Drop screens and windows, including Terminal, flicker transparent rapidly and make it difficult to do alot of things. Not all, just certain ones. Some from the panel, some in Firefox (before and after the update to 57). I really have no idea how to fix it. I transferred all my files to an external drive and downloaded the current Xfce and Gnome thinking maybe I'd reinstall or just switch to Gnome, but can't get the bootable thumbdrive I have made for either to work. I just get the black screen with the flashing cursor. This machine is partitioned with Windows 7 which is having virus problems, and I really just want to wipe the drive and start over without it, but not until I can get a bootable thumbdrive to work. There's no way that could leak through to the linux partition, is there?

Would really appreciate some opinions here....

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Jan 08, 2018 18:20

Have you tried simply installing GNOME from your current installation?

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 19:28

Not yet. I suppose I could just do that, delete the windblows partition and extend the linux partition, but I didnt really want to do it that way.. I kinda wanted to just wipe the drive and start from scratch.

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Post by gentmixer » Sun Jan 21, 2018 21:47

Hi...
Don't worry, no leaks to the .iso... Take some Sabayon.iso and make a bootable stick with Rufus (the best application, I think). (If your Windows is really in bad condition wipe it, but check the stick at first).
Sorry, maybe too late advice...

heathen
Growing Hen

Post by heathen » Wed Feb 14, 2018 19:01

Thankyou. Yeah, I deleted windows, there's still an empty partition there. Haven't done anything lately, just been using Gnome and ignoring Xfce, my mind has been on other things. I'll try Rufus, appreciate the suggestion. Will update. :)