Chromium Keyring change after install?

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Chromium Keyring change after install?

Postby billwx » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:25

Hi all,
I have learned from this awesome forum how to tab through the initial keyring setup so that Chromium doesn't ask for a keyring password every time it is opened. I now use this on all my new installs on various laptops. But... when i first started using Chromium i did not know about this option, so i still get the annoying keyring password requests on Sabayon MATE. Is there a way to edit the keyring password after install of Chromium, or must i delete the browser and reinstall? Thanks much for your advice!
bill
Last edited by billwx on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:03, edited 2 times in total.
billwx
Young Hen

Re: Chromium Keyring change after install?

Postby sabayonino » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56

Hi
you can try this :
Code: Select all
$ chromium --password-store=basic %U

According on Chromium/Chrome manpage :
Code: Select all
--password-store=<basic|gnome|kwallet>
Set the password store to use. The default is to automatically detect based on the desktop environment. basic selects the built in, unencrypted password store. gnome selects Gnome keyring. kwallet selects (KDE) KWallet. (Note that KWallet may not work reliably outside KDE.)

You can edit "Exec=chromium --password-store=basic %U" line in /usr/share/applications/chromium-browser.desktop and/or copy this edited file on your ~/.local/share/applications folder and then setup a blank password
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Postby billwx » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:59

Awesome, thank you so much!

A couple of caveats:
the file name i edited in /usr/share/applications/ is chromium-browser-chromium.desktop. I then cp this entire file to ~/local/share/applications/

This did not work while chromium was open. I had to copy your instructions to pluma and shut down the browser.

Re-opening chromium gave me the same password request as always. On a hunch i exited everything and rebooted the machine. This time chromium went directly to my start page without any password nonsense. :D

I did find that i had to re-login to Sabayon forum, which did not save my username and password. Outlook mail also required me to re-login, but already had my username and password in the form. I expect other sites will vary accordingly. So for others doing this you prolly want to have all usernames and passwords handy just in case.
billwx
Young Hen

Postby billwx » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:09

Looks like i spoke too soon. Next morning boot returned to me the usual password notice which i had to click cancel 4 times to proceed. I saved my bookmarks and had Rigo uninstall Chromium and chrome-tools (or something similar). I then reinstalled expecting a fresh start. Nope. Still the password request, my bookmarks, and all my modifications.

Are the personal data files stored somewhere other than the browser itself? Can i just del those, reboot, and start Chromium fresh? Thanks.
billwx
Young Hen

Postby sabayonino » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:59

Mybe re-installing chromium .desktop file was overwritten
sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area