Considering SL

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Considering SL

Postby todd93 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 23:05

Hi, I just stumbled across this wonderful looking distro. I'm formerly a Gentoo user who had to leave Gentoo due to some hardware issues I had a couple of years ago. I've recently built a new machine and am searching for the Linux distro I want. I always loved Gentoo, but unfortunately, I struggle to find the proper time to spend with it. However, you simply can't beat the stability of a properly installed Gentoo system. I was wondering if SL has the same type of stability? Does it compile the packages like the emerge command does in Gentoo? I'm really curious about the process of installing packages, and building kernels. Can you build your own kernel? Or do some of it? Also does SL have the same problems with the Ryzen line of amd cpus?

I appreciate any and all input I can get!

Thanks!
Todd.
todd93
Baby Hen

Re: Considering SL

Postby Stupot » Wed Oct 11, 2017 16:22

I have a Ryzen CPU and everything runs fine with the latest couple of kernels.

But, to answer your question, the default package manager of Sabayon does not have the user compiling all of their packages with portage, rather it uses portage to compile all the packages in a generic way and users install those pre-compiled packages. But since it uses portage, there is some interoperability with installing portage packages, but only to a limited degree because Sabayon compiled packages expect their dependencies to be compiled in a certain way.

That said, you do have the option to completely toss aside Sabayon's package manager (entropy) and just use portage entirely, but you won't find great support on the forums if you run into issues because not many users go that route.

You can build your own kernel, but I'm pretty sure you can build your kernel for every distro, it's just a matter of how much of a hassle it is. Sabayon is a rolling release distro for both the entropy and portage, and they both offer timely kernel updates.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area