Sabayon and Satellite TV

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

Sabayon and Satellite TV

Postby erasmus » Sat May 13, 2017 15:59

Hello
I want to test Sabayon if it would suit me better than my old Kubuntu 14.04. Therefore I plan to instal Sabayon 16 Xfce.

I need to add my Satellite TV to the distro. I use Kaffeine and I also have to copy a file. Then I can run a Station search on the satellites I installed. However, Kaffeine is, I believe, no longer maintained and therefore has stoneold lists with the necessary data to recognise the changes on the two satellites I am interested with: Astra and Hotbird. The main Stations have not changed their position, others did. For exemple Arte German stayed, Arte French has changed.
I do not mind to find another application who would do the same and be more modern, and with upgraded positions list. Any suggestion to make it possible to receive these 2 Satellites with the computer are very welcome.

Thanks for any good help.
erasmus
Baby Hen

Re: Sabayon and Satellite TV

Postby linuxfluesterer » Tue May 16, 2017 21:54

I can not confirm that Kaffeine is no more supported in Plasma. I use Kaffeine with a USB-S2 sat receiver and I receive lots of programs from Astra-19.2E.

My USB-S2 receiver is a TT-connect S2-4600 by Technotrend. I found it on the website:
https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-S2_USB_Devices
It is recognized by Kernel 4.8 and 4.10, 4.9 fails. Anyway, you'll need to install firmware also.

I have no problems with that tuner and Kaffeine. While I write this, I watch tv with Kaffeine with a better quality than DVB-T, which was obsolete on end of March.

If you have more questions, you can ask me. Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)

p.s. I just updated my channel list of Astra. It's as date of 23/04/2017
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...
linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Sabayon and Satellite TV

Postby erasmus » Tue May 16, 2017 23:27

Thanks, that looks good. I have Hotbird as well and problems mainly with them. I will come back when I am having enough time to install and configuere Sabayon. In the meantime I will have a Sabayone tomorrow for dessert at lunch.
erasmus
Baby Hen

Return to Beginners|Newbies Area