"Moodin required", maar *is* geïnstalleerd! [Solved]

Algemene gesprekken over Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

"Moodin required", maar *is* geïnstalleerd! [Solved]

Post by ReemZ » Sat May 30, 2009 20:49

Edit: bug report

Voor de inleiding, zie dit topic en met name deze post.

Na '/etc/init.d/xdm restart' ben ik die mooie splash (Lines) kwijt, als ik die opnieuw wil instellen krijg ik de volgende melding:

Code: Select all

This theme requires the plugin Moodin which is not installed.
Echter:

Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe ~ # equo search moodin
>>  @@ Searching...
>>   #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>      @@ Package: kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin-0.4.2-r1             branch: 4
>>        Available:            version: 0.4.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 1
>>        Installed:            version: 0.4.2-r1 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 1
>>        Slot:                 0
>>        Homepage:             http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=25705
>>        Description:          Splash Screen Engine for KDE - Heavily
>>                              customizable engine for various
>>                              types of themes
>>        License:              GPL-2
>>  Keyword:    moodin
>>  Found:      1 entries
Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe ~ #
Ziet er aardig geïnstalleerd uit, niet?

Uiteraard het nodige remove-reinstall-restart X-werk en zelfs 'n reboot ertegenaan gegooid, maar dat dat weinig heeft geholpen moge uit deze post wel blijken ;)

(Overigens zou ik het liefste Fingerprint weer terughebben, die is echt té vet, maar dat terzijde)

En nu had ik graag 'n schop in de goeie richting :mrgreen:
Last edited by ReemZ on Fri Jan 27, 2012 22:13, edited 2 times in total.
Handtekening? Zeg...ik ga niet op m'n monitor schrijven!

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: "Moodin required", maar *is* geïnstalleerd!

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:07

Interestingly, I also get this message with an SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation on a laptop with a 1400x1050 screen resolution, but not on a SL 4.0-r1 x86_64 installation on a laptop with a 1680x1050 screen resolution. And, yes, kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin is installed on both. I noticed that the former laptop does not have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ whereas the latter laptop does have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1680x1050/, so I wonder if this has something to do with the problem? If I get a chance I'll create ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ with the resized Background.png in it, to see if that makes a difference.

The Moodin plugin is not supplied for KDE 4.* (Moodin (Engine) + Themes 0.4.2, KDE 3.x Splash Screen), as the developer does not like KDE 4.* and decided to use a different desktop environment.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Interestingly, I also get this message with an SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation on a laptop with a 1400x1050 screen resolution, but not on a SL 4.0-r1 x86_64 installation on a laptop with a 1680x1050 screen resolution. And, yes, kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin is installed on both. I noticed that the former laptop does not have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ whereas the latter laptop does have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1680x1050/, so I wonder if this has something to do with the problem? If I get a chance I'll create ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ with the resized Background.png in it, to see if that makes a difference.
Now don't tell me you understand Dutch too?! :lol:
Anyway, I've taken a peek in ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/ and I've got the following:

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin:
-Fingerprint/1680x1050, containing 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg and info (which is what I would be needing)
-Lines/1680x1050 and Lines/1280x800, both containing similarly named files.

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/Themes: empty.
Fitzcarraldo wrote:The Moodin plugin is not supplied for KDE 4.* (Moodin (Engine) + Themes 0.4.2, KDE 3.x Splash Screen), as the developer does not like KDE 4.* and decided to use a different desktop environment.
I use KDE 3.5.10, not 4.x, and probably won't change that in a veeeeeeery long time! I *hate* KDE4...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 17:25

ReemZ wrote:I use KDE 3.5.10, not 4.x, and probably won't change that in a veeeeeeery long time! I *hate* KDE4...
Well, I won't say I "hate" KDE4, but I will say I dislike it and also have no intention of changing to it. I too am sticking with KDE 3.5.10 for the time being as it does everything and more I want (and it does it very well). But I'm currently debating whether to switch to E17 or Xfce, which, unlike KDE 3.5.10, are actively developed.

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread...

Looking through the various directories with KDE themes, KDM greeter themes, Moodin themes etc. in SL 4.0-r1, it's a mess. The whole theme set-up in SL seems to be either fragile or buggy. It needs some detective work to sort out, which unfortunately I haven't got the time to do at the moment.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 17:47

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Well, I won't say I "hate" KDE4, but I will say I dislike it and also have no intention of changing to it. I too am sticking with KDE 3.5.10 for the time being as it does everything and more I want (and it does it very well). But I'm currently debating whether to switch to E17 or Xfce, which, unlike KDE 3.5.10, are actively developed.
OK, hate is a strong word, but you know what I mean, obviously ;)
I'd have to look into Xfce and E17 though, I've heard the names but have no idea what they...are...or do...
Fitzcarraldo wrote:Anyway, back to the topic of this thread...

Looking through the various directories with KDE themes, KDM greeter themes, Moodin themes etc. in SL 4.0-r1, it's a mess. The whole theme set-up in SL seems to be either fragile or buggy. It needs some detective work to sort out, which unfortunately I haven't got the time to do at the moment.
I've got more than enough time atm, I lack the skills :lol:

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 18:06

OK I've done a little searching on both Xfce and E17:

Xfce: found xfce.org, found screenshots, god it's ugly! (Looks too much like GNOME, which I ha...dislike...)

E17: found enlightenment.org, found no screenshots :(
Did a few wiki-searches on the subject, but they confused me even more...

Would E17 replace compiz-fusion, or would it replace KDE?
I've also did an equo search to see what was installed:

Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe ~ # equo search enlightenment
>>  @@ Searching...
>>      @@ Package: x11-wm/enlightenment-0.16.8.14              branch: 4
>>        Available:            version: 0.16.8.14 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 1
>>        Installed:            version: Not installed ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A
>>        Homepage:             http://www.enlightenment.org/
>>        Description:          Enlightenment Window Manager
>>        License:              BSD
>>      @@ Package: x11-wm/enlightenment-9999           branch: 4
>>        Available:            version: 9999 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 0
>>        Installed:            version: Not installed ~ tag: N/A ~ revision: N/A
>>        Slot:                 0.17
>>        Homepage:             http://www.enlightenment.org/
>>        Description:          the e17 window manager
>>        License:              BSD
>>  Keyword:    enlightenment
>>  Found:      2 entries
Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe ~ # equo search e17
>>  @@ Searching...
>>      @@ Package: x11-themes/gtk2-E17-bling-0         branch: 4
>>        Available:            version: 0 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 1
>>        Homepage:             http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=38481
>>        Description:          GTK2 theme to match the default
>>                              E17 Bling theme
>>        License:              as-is
>>  Keyword:    e17
>>  Found:      1 entries
Sm0kerZ-ParadiZe ~ #
Which of those would I need to install?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 20:10

Yep, I'm not a fan of GNOME either.

I think the word for Xfce is "functional"! But at least it's lean and mean.

So is E17 (Enlightenment), except that it also looks gorgeous. To install it in SL, see E17 now available in Entropy. It's very nice. E17 is a window manager, so it's sort of analagous to Compiz-Fusion, but can be used instead of KDE or GNOME. You can run Compiz-Fusion in E17 as well, although I've never tried it.

Enlightenment (window manager)

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 0:14

Fitzcarraldo wrote:Interestingly, I also get this message with an SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation on a laptop with a 1400x1050 screen resolution, but not on a SL 4.0-r1 x86_64 installation on a laptop with a 1680x1050 screen resolution. And, yes, kde-misc/ksplash-engine-moodin is installed on both. I noticed that the former laptop does not have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ whereas the latter laptop does have the directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1680x1050/, so I wonder if this has something to do with the problem? If I get a chance I'll create ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ with the resized Background.png in it, to see if that makes a difference.
Actually I was mistaken. I must have been looking in the wrong directory: there is a directory ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/ in the former laptop (the one with the SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation). So now I'm at a total loss.
ReemZ wrote:Anyway, I've taken a peek in ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/ and I've got the following:

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin:
-Fingerprint/1680x1050, containing 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg and info (which is what I would be needing)
-Lines/1680x1050 and Lines/1280x800, both containing similarly named files.

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/Themes: empty.
How did you get the FingerPrint theme in there, I wonder? On my SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation there is a directory called FingerPrint in the directory /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/ and it contains the files 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg, Preview.png and Theme.rc. In the ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/ directory I've got the following three directories:

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1280x800/
~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/
both containing the files 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg and info

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/ is empty.

The file Theme.rc for the FingerPrint theme was written by the author of the Moodin plug-in, and it contains the line "Engine=Moodin", but it and the other files in the FingerPrint directory are all dated July 2005, so maybe the file Theme.rc is an earlier method of configuring the Moodin ksplash plug-in. Anyway, as I wrote earlier, the whole thing appears to be a mess.

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:59

Fitzcarraldo wrote:How did you get the FingerPrint theme in there, I wonder?
Absolutely no idea mate!
Fitzcarraldo wrote:On my SL 4.0-r1 x86 installation there is a directory called FingerPrint in the directory /usr/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/ and it contains the files 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg, Preview.png and Theme.rc. In the ~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/ directory I've got the following three directories:

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1280x800/
~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/cache/Moodin/Lines/1400x1050/
both containing the files 1.png to 8.png, Background.jpg and info

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/ksplash/Themes/ is empty.

The file Theme.rc for the FingerPrint theme was written by the author of the Moodin plug-in, and it contains the line "Engine=Moodin", but it and the other files in the FingerPrint directory are all dated July 2005, so maybe the file Theme.rc is an earlier method of configuring the Moodin ksplash plug-in. Anyway, as I wrote earlier, the whole thing appears to be a mess.
I don't even have a single Theme.rc in my entire homedir?! :scratch:

btw, I did

equo update --force
equo world --empty
equo conf update
to see if that would solve this and my Amarok problem: 6 hours, 2307 packages, 29 config files, 0 luck.

:pale:

ReemZ
Old Dear Hen

Post by ReemZ » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:49

Ow yeah...another login related thing: the login screen is completely black, as in, forms for username and password, as well as menus, are visible, but that nice background is gone. Been like that quite a while now but never bothered to report it.
Could well be related to this particular problem...

Thing is, I haven't found a single Theme.rc file on my disk, and I haven't been able to find out what it is or does.
If you could clarify that for me would be nice :)

Anyway, I've filed a bug report on a combination of this problem and my Amarok problem:
http://bugs.sabayonlinux.org/show_bug.cgi?id=717