relentlessly complaining about the locale [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

n4rky
Baby Hen

relentlessly complaining about the locale [Solved]

Post by n4rky » Mon Feb 05, 2018 19:42

I have had Sabayon installed on this system for many years. It has been reliable until now.

All of a sudden, equo and rigo are complaining relentlessly that they cannot change the locale to the value that is, in fact, already set (en_US.UTF-8) and that has been set this way for a very, very, very long time. Adding LC_ALL to /etc/profile does not change this behavior.

It does suggest running equo update with the locale specified as an environment variable in the command. This also makes no difference.

Further, equo upgrade hangs when attempting to generate a new grub configuration. Control-C here does not work; I have to Control-Z and kill %1. I attempted running the grub configuration manually; it hangs as well. Fortunately, the system still reboots, but this also makes no difference.

How do I get this system unborked so I can get on with my day?

Thanks!
Last edited by n4rky on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49, edited 1 time in total.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: all of a sudden, relentlessly complaining about the loca

Post by Stupot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 22:19

I'm not sure why this came up, but someone else had the same issue:
viewtopic.php?f=86&t=34071#p180991

n4rky
Baby Hen

Re: all of a sudden, relentlessly complaining about the loca

Post by n4rky » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:48

That wasn't it, but it turned out that something romped on my /etc/locale.gen. Editing that file and then running locale-gen worked.

The key was another message that mentioned that the filesystem encoding was wrong; a Google search on this led to the solution. Marking as resolved.

Thank you.