no updates?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

billwx
Young Hen

no updates?

Post by billwx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 13:14

Hi all,
Not totally new to Sabayon but i have recently made it my primary os and so want to get the most out of it. I've read some faqs on rigo and equo, but still think i may be missing some things. I am most familiar with Arch-based distros like Antergos and Manjaro where "rolling release" typically means updates several times a week. I see Sabayon/Gentoo is also "rolling release," but after the massive amount of updates following initial install i have yet to see an update notification. Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe things just move at a bit slower pace here? Not a criticism, just wanting to learn. Thanks for any tips/info!

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: no updates?

Post by linuxfluesterer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 13:52

Hmmm, you can check Upgrades manual by doing then following in a root terminal / konsole:

Code: Select all

equo up 
# and if the repository is updated indeed, then:
equo u --ask
This method is more actual than the built in update notifier.
I got my last upgrades in Plasma 2 days ago. Today I haven't checked yet.
Hope to help you.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE ...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:25

billwx wrote:"rolling release" typically means updates several times a week.
I wouldn't phrase is this way. It rather means continuous updates. The pace depends also on the repo you are using. A standard Sabayon install uses the weekly (sabayon-weekly) repo which used to get updates, try to guess, once a week.
Info on the latest revision:

Latest repository revision: 3505
  Updated: Thu Jan  5 10:11:56 UTC 2017
If you are on the main (sabayonlinux.org) repo you should get the updates as they are pushed to the repo. Check it with

$ equo st
For desktop notifications you need to install magneto-loader if you don't have it.

If you think the standard update fails you can force it with:

# equo update --force
and install the updates with

# equo upgrade --ask

billwx
Young Hen

Post by billwx » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:57

Thanks guys!
I did equo up and had no updates, but a couple days later (about the 7th i think) Magneto notified me of available updates and Rigo installed quite a lot of them. This is the first time I've ever had an update notification after the huge one just after initial install, so looks like I'm good here.

equo st gives me 29 servers, the first being http://redir.sabayon.org/entropy, so i should get notified of future updates right away, yes? Thanks so much for your help! Really enjoying Sabayon Mate.